PDA

View Full Version : tank suggestions/vacuum tank?

tuckermtn
04-15-2007, 01:59 PM
Seem to remember some folks are using bulk milk (a zero or sunset brand?) tank in place of a releaser on a vacuum system

how are these set up? how much vacuum do they hold? I assume some sort of delaval or surge pump would work with this type of tank

looking at getting a different vacuum system for next season and looking at the pros and cons of usign a tank as a releaser or a conventional mecahnical Gilles Berneard style one.

nhmaple48
04-15-2007, 02:44 PM
If you use a vacuum tank instead of a releaser,on a nice sunny day all that hot air you suck in with the sap stays in the tank.Temps can get to 70-80 degrees. Not conducive to making good syrup,

ennismaple
04-15-2007, 09:47 PM
We've got 5 Zero tanks and not a single releaser in our bush. The two tanks that are in a building out of the sun we don't have a problem with the sap quality. The 3 tanks that are exposed to the sun we get slightly cloudier sap out of. We need to ultimately either get them under cover or possibly switch to open tanks with a releaser. It does trap some heat but the air is constantly being removed from the tank by the pump so its not too bad.

We hook up the vacuum line from the pump to one end of the tank and the sap line to the other end. No releaser, no moisture trap. All it cost us was $1 per gallon for the tank plus the cost of the vacuum pump and you're good to go.

However, when we tap our new bush next year we plan to go with an open tank with a releaser. Most Zero tanks are generally in the 300-600 gallon range (one of ours is 800 gallons) so a large bush would either need multiple tanks or an open tank with a releaser. Plus, to give a Zero tank a thorough wash you've got to get right into it. My 6'2" frame doesn't fit into a closed top tank very well!

maplehound
04-16-2007, 02:13 PM
I use a 300 gal Zero tank as a releaser. I have never had to crawl into it to clean it I just use a brush on the end of a broom handel to clean it. I Too have heard that the air moving across the sap will heat it up but my tank has a thermometer on it and I have never seen the sap inside register more than 40 deg. Even on warm sunny days. As far as how much vacuume they will hold? I believe if the tank is ment to be vacuumed that you won't have any trouble with it at 22lbs or more. Just be carefull not all zero's are ment to be vacuumed. If they arn't vacuumable they will say right on them near the opening.