PDA

View Full Version : Pump leak fix

Ultimatetreehugger
03-18-2017, 07:57 AM
Hey guys, I'm a new sugar maker in Northern Vermont and I am excited to have bought my first transfer pump. I used it during the last run to empty my bulk tank and had a very saptastic situation on the outlet side. Are there specific sealants I should use on the threads or will any food grade sealant work?

Thanks much

Daveg
03-18-2017, 10:18 AM
I have a Harbor Freight Pacific Hydrostar transfer pump that will pump 60 gallons in 90 seconds. I use Teflon tape on the threaded fittings. I like saptastic situations, too, except when it is the outlet side being out of control and spraying the stuff all over at the rate of a gallon every 1.3 seconds. Think "fire hose whipping"!
Good luck in your new endeavor!

BreezyHill
03-19-2017, 09:34 AM
I use the blue Block from Home Depot it works awesome on threads of pumps, and to seal up leaks on mainline fittings as well. Just don't get it one your clothes...hard to get out with out a very high ph detergent.

Thus is the reason it does not work well on RO leaks as the soap cycle on the membranes will eat it right out and the leak is back again. But if it on your hand or clothes a good goats milk soap will clean it right off due to the lye in the soap.

Ben