PDA

View Full Version : Honda 5.5 troubel

Parker
04-15-2007, 06:22 AM
The Honda that runs the SP-22 on Rte.11 Has stopped running properly,,keeps dying,,,It will only run 3/4's choked and then only for a minute or so,,The fuel looks good, it is full of oil,,any ideas?? Thanks,,Parker

Fred Henderson
04-15-2007, 06:50 AM
Screw out the High and Low speed jets ( remembering their setting) and spary in some carb and choke cleaner. Sound like a small piece of sediment got into the system.

mountainvan
04-15-2007, 06:54 AM
Sounds like what happened to my honda water pump. I got "bad" gas, stale , water, who knows. I cleaned the carb a couple times, bought a new pump till I get this fixed by a pro. Save you're self a pain in the ars and take it to a small engine repair guy now.

802maple
04-15-2007, 08:00 AM
Hey Fred where do you get "crab" cleaner LOL Enjoy the snow

maple flats
04-15-2007, 08:25 AM
I have had that on other engines. It always proves to be water in the gas. Drain the system, clean the air filter or replace, use a Q tip to dry the throat behind the air cleaner. Put in fresh gas with a can of isopropel alchohol and try again. On my generator I have to do this a couple of times every season unless I regularly add the alchohol, so I now add some with every fueling. These engines have the fuel tank right on top but that puts heat under the tank and then when the engine runs out or is shut off there is only a partially full tank at best which contracts as it cools and sucks in moisture. I have eliminated this problem by regular use of the alchohol.

royalmaple
04-15-2007, 08:26 AM
Jerry-

I think Rite Aid sells it. It is a shampoo. Or you can use the redneck approach. Shave 1/2, then lite a fire to the hairy side and as they leap to the shaved side for safety you can stab the crabs with a knife!!

Parker, my engine was doing about the same thing. And it is a brand new engine so no fine adjustment to the carb, it is sealed. So I unscrewed the drain on the float, let that run for a min. CHanged the oil and put in a new spark plug. Just some simple things but has been working. And really only takes a couple of mins and a few dollars.

Brian
04-15-2007, 08:49 AM
Hi Parker,
Heard you were in the neighborhood, and your wife was up one other day. I heard her car was a special limited edition......fully loaded! LOL. On the carbeurator there is a gas shut off, remove the air cleaner, then there are 2 nuts that hold the cover on the carbeurator, remove that and there should be a sediment bowl that just unscrews with a rubber O ring. Take that apart and clean it out with starting fluid and that should help. P.M. me if you want.

Parker
04-15-2007, 12:08 PM
Brian- she only had 90 gallons of syrup in the Nissan-I had more in there but she got a littel ways down the road ,,came back,, said the tires were rubbing when she went around a corner,,so I unloaded some,,I waved at you the first time I went up..you were heading out gathering I think,,

Thanks for the replys Ill give it a shot,,going over there now,,,,,,,thought this snow was not supposed to start till 10 tonight???,,,

John Burton
04-15-2007, 04:18 PM
most new small engines are pretty well adjusted from the factory try the simple first , new gas new plug clean the air cleaner and i bet it will fix all your problems

New Hope Mapleman
04-15-2007, 05:25 PM
Mine did that two days ago. It was just gummed up inside the tank at the little filter by the sump area in the fuel tank. Once I cleaned that up we were back in business.

They aren't making fuel the same these days so all of us sugarmakers should get used to getting some High quality fuel treatment regularly.

Hope you get it worked out.
Dan

Fred Henderson
04-15-2007, 07:53 PM
Screw out the High and Low speed jets ( remembering their setting) and spray in some carb and choke cleaner. Sound like a small piece of sediment got into the system.

Sorry but I think you know what I meant. If you are not so mechanically inclined you may be in the wrong business. LOl

802maple
04-15-2007, 08:08 PM
I know what you meant and I was just having alittle fun, sorry if I offended you

Fred Henderson
04-16-2007, 04:34 AM
802, You did not offend me. I thought that it was funny. Its amazing what miss spelled words can do. If it is a "crab" problem I promise that the carb & choke cleaner will do the trick.

802maple
04-16-2007, 04:06 PM
Well Fred if there are any crabs the carb cleaner should make em want to leave, just don't coat them to bad because if they are as big as Matt was talking about they might be tasty.