PDA

View Full Version : Electricians, am I missing something??

Austin351
03-17-2017, 07:22 PM
I have a small transfer pump (115v / 1.8 amp) and a generator (120v / 1800 watts). I cannot power the pump off the generator???. Since it had been a while since I used the generator, brought it back to the shop, plugged a grinder (120v / 6 amp) into it, worked fine. So then thinking the pump was bad, brought it back to the shop, plugged into wall outlet and worked fine... I thought 110, 115, and 120 were, for all intent and purposes, the same??

Cedar Eater
03-17-2017, 07:29 PM
The starting current of a motor can be as much as 13 times the full load amps of the motor and that can kick the snot out of a generator. Pumps take longer than many other motors to come up to full speed and they essentially look like a short circuit to the power supply until they do. I'm guessing that your generator just hates your pump.

Austin351
03-17-2017, 10:47 PM
The starting current of a motor can be as much as 13 times the full load amps of the motor and that can kick the snot out of a generator. Pumps take longer than many other motors to come up to full speed and they essentially look like a short circuit to the power supply until they do. I'm guessing that your generator just hates your pump.

The pump isnt even trying to move, it's not even loading the generator. Agree that my generator does t like the pump but, the start up of the pump is less than the grinder that worked fine.

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-18-2017, 05:51 AM
If the generator is starting the saw at 720W no problem, I'm thinking the cord on the pump has an issue. Even though you p;lugged it into the wall outlet and it worked fine. plug it in again and wiggle the cord at the outlet and where it goes into the motor housing of the pump. Also if you have a volt meter check how many volts at the generator when idling.

As a general rule of thumb motors can go over by 10% and under by 5% of rated voltage and still work fine.

anchorhd
03-18-2017, 06:32 AM
Try to plug in something else like a drop light , then try your pump.

Cedar Eater
03-18-2017, 07:03 AM
The pump isnt even trying to move, it's not even loading the generator. Agree that my generator does t like the pump but, the start up of the pump is less than the grinder that worked fine.

That is weird, but no reaction at all from the generator means a cord or plug issue is most likely the cause. If it isn't a connectivity problem, does this pump have a starting capacitor? Some do. It's a little metal can with a wire lead usually located in the terminal box where the cord connects. It might be sensitive to the generator, but that seems like a long shot.

Austin351
03-18-2017, 05:33 PM
Generator didn't know it was there! Plugged another device in there and when the generator pulled down, plugged the pump in and all is good.

miguelgarbutt
03-28-2017, 01:10 AM
I think not.

Twin Chimneys Syrup
03-28-2017, 05:56 AM
Seems a bit obvious I know but is there a chance that it's tripping the gfi on the generator. Try multiple receptacles also, sometimes the blades can get worn out in the receptacles if it's a well used gen or pump cord end, possibly making a bad connection on there and not on the wall plug you tried it on. Like was mentioned already too try simply moving the cord around to see if there is a loose connection anywhere. It doesn't seem like an issue of overload, more a connectivity issue. Just my 2cents!

Austin351
04-03-2017, 09:15 AM
Still the same scenario, has been since I last posted. I've tried different outlets, is not tripping breaker. Tried plugging in the pump with and without generator running. It will not pump unless I plug something else in. Once the pump starts running, I unplug the other. Whatever it is, whatever the process, it is working for me.

Sugarbush Ridge
04-03-2017, 08:44 PM
Austin351,,,,,,, Would your generator be a auto-idle????? It idles down when nothing plugged in???? I'm thinking in the terms of the large,,,,,, some not so large,,,, portable welders,,,,,, (we call them pipeline welders) they idle down until an arc is struck. And when used as a generator they also idle down. Now the thing might be that, that little pump just does not draw enough amps to kick up generator speed but if something else is plugged in to get the speed up the little pump draws enough to keep the speed up. Some have a high speed lock that keeps speed up.

Austin351
04-04-2017, 10:36 AM
Austin351,,,,,,, Would your generator be a auto-idle????? It idles down when nothing plugged in???? I'm thinking in the terms of the large,,,,,, some not so large,,,, portable welders,,,,,, (we call them pipeline welders) they idle down until an arc is struck. And when used as a generator they also idle down. Now the thing might be that, that little pump just does not draw enough amps to kick up generator speed but if something else is plugged in to get the speed up the little pump draws enough to keep the speed up. Some have a high speed lock that keeps speed up.

Exactly. Not that big of a generator but it does what is described above. I'm not concerned with it anymore, now that I figured out how to make it work. :)