PDA

View Full Version : Shurflo Needs a Cleaning

SeanD
03-17-2017, 06:32 AM
Just as I was about to connect my Shurflo up for the day, I noticed the filter was filled with gunk/growth. This (and the heat waves we had) explains why my holding tank has needed so much more cleaning than usual. I'm going to rinse out the filter and pump clean water through the pump as best I can.

Is there anything else I should be doing? Is this typical or is this just because of the season we've been having? How often do other vac users clean the pump?

RileySugarbush
03-17-2017, 06:47 AM
I had the same gunk in the shurflo screen. I cleaned it out but the pump doesn't seem to be working as well as before it clogged. I wonder if the check valves are contaminated too. I have a spare pump I can put in to check while I clean the previous one.

BAP
03-17-2017, 06:47 AM
You may want to take the pump apart and scrub it. I do that to mine every so often. Take the screws out and you can open it right up. I find that it usually has a slimy buildup inside after a while and the only way to get it good and clean is to open it up and scrub it.

Waynehere
03-17-2017, 07:08 AM
I had the screens plugging up all the time on my older lines. I finally gave up and run the pumps without them. Have not had any issues with the ice in the lines so far. Knock on wood. :rolleyes:

foursapsyrup1
03-17-2017, 07:44 AM
I clean out the screen a least once a day - more often when temps were high. Started running yesterday and all the residue finally cleaned out.
It's our second year with the shurflo and it's working fine.

Just as I was about to connect my Shurflo up for the day, I noticed the filter was filled with gunk/growth. This (and the heat waves we had) explains why my holding tank has needed so much more cleaning than usual. I'm going to rinse out the filter and pump clean water through the pump as best I can.

Is there anything else I should be doing? Is this typical or is this just because of the season we've been having? How often do other vac users clean the pump?

SeanD
03-17-2017, 04:33 PM
All good to know. Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to break it down and clean it out. Things are still slow here, so I won't lose too much sap. Besides, it has been a royal PITA dealing with this fouling as it has made its way from tank to tank to RO to head tank to pan. I'm glad I found (at least one) source of it all.