PDA

View Full Version : How often to clean hybrid pan during season

lyford
03-16-2017, 03:19 PM
My first year on a SL 2x4 hybrid and I'm wondering how often I should be cleaning during the season. I did already clean it once during one of our warmups after about 320 gals. The bottom looks relatively shiny now but I can feel a little roughness on there. Is it time to clean again or can I make it through season w/o cleaning. I don't care about dark ship I just don't want to get an off flavor from burnt niter. Thanks

motowbrowne
03-16-2017, 04:42 PM
Another concern is that a buildup of niter can create a later between the pan and the sap, and the sap can't cool the pan effectively and thus it scorches the pan. If it's still shiny, you should be fine. Once you start getting a layer of niter thicker than a few sheets of paper, it's time to think about cleaning.

buckeye gold
03-16-2017, 04:45 PM
I think if you can still see your pan bottom and the nitre is not cooked on your fine. I run a S.L. Full pint and I'll usually clean about every 400-500 gallons of sap, but everyones nitre build up will be different and even yours will be from year to year.

lyford
03-17-2017, 08:28 AM
Well I didn't wanna risk scorching the pan, so I went ahead and gave it a vinegar soak over nite. A very thin layer of niter was loosened up this morning and I will rinse after work. I think you guys were both right and I didnt really need to clean. The layer was very thin. When I had water in the pan the bottom was very shiny but when I drained it and it dried the bottom was dull and whitish. My thoughts were the cleaning couldnt hurt and I really don't wanna screw up the new pan. Thanks for your advice guys, much appreciated as always.

devils11217
03-17-2017, 08:41 AM
I wish smoky lake would have put a valve in between the flue and syrup pans.. what a pain in the *** to drain and clean this thing. i wish i could clean on the evaporator without compromising contaiminating the flue pan.

Dave Puhl
03-17-2017, 09:01 AM
If the hole is round between the pans just get a rubber plug and mount it on a handle to push it in to close it up

lyford
03-17-2017, 09:10 AM
Devils, I spoke with Jim about this issue and he said they will have some sort of plug/valve available this summer. I agree draining the entire pan is a pita. I use a wet/dry vac that attaches to a 5 gal pal. Soak with vinegar and rinse 3x with water. I drain each time with the vac.

Ghs57
03-17-2017, 09:11 AM
I wish smoky lake would have put a valve in between the flue and syrup pans.. what a pain in the *** to drain and clean this thing. i wish i could clean on the evaporator without compromising contaiminating the flue pan.

This is true. I would try plugging the the flow through hole, but I've noticed that sap can seep through the edges of the divider between the flue and syrup sections. You really have to drain the whole thing.

devils11217
03-17-2017, 11:34 AM
Great hobby pan but this is adesign flaw. Not only a valve between the pan sections but it's crazy to not have a drain for the drop flues

lyford
03-17-2017, 11:38 AM
That may be, however, didn't you know that before you bought it?

devils11217
03-17-2017, 02:08 PM
I bought the pan for what it was worth being it was my first pan. It is a great pan and have no complaints with the GPH performance. Knowing what i know now, my only complaint to make this pan the best it can be would be to add those items

maple flats
03-17-2017, 04:04 PM
As far as when to clean, I use a plastic spatula and using light downward plessure I drag it across the chanels in the syrup pan with the end of the spatula at about 45 degrees away from me. If I feel any drag, I drain and clean the pan. Even a thin deposit of sugar sand is enough to slow the boil. I also clean my flue pan everytime I clean the syrup pan, but then I have a Lapierre flue pan washer.
Before I had the flue pan washer, I simply brushed the flues on the sap side.