PDA

View Full Version : Big Storm

billyinvt
03-13-2017, 03:22 PM
All I can think of is Marlon Brando screaming up at the window...STELLA!! STELLA! Anyway, good thing we still have our snowshoes and tire chains at the ready. Might get interesting!!

wnybassman
03-13-2017, 03:29 PM
Weird year. The very first run for me I collected buckets in shorts and a T-shirt. Some of the last runs I might have knee deep snow! lol

MISugarDaddy
03-14-2017, 04:51 AM
You producers out east sure look to be in for quite a snowstorm over the next 24 hours. Good luck with it and be safe.
Gary

mainebackswoodssyrup
03-14-2017, 05:21 AM
We only make the news out here if Boston and NYC get impacted:lol: We had 26" back in December and 4 feet in 1.5 weeks back in February. What's another 20" :cool: V plow plus tractor snow blower = snow gone!
Winds around 40 mph here so not bad for us.

maple flats
03-14-2017, 07:40 AM
We haven't been hit very hard all season YET. A short ways in any direction and they've had way more, like 1 hr. north they had over 6' in one storm. So far I've only needed snowshoes once and that was where I was tapping was on the leeward edge of a big open field and where I was tapping fell off in elevation and had 4' deposited in my way. Farther down the slope only had maybe a foot deep.
That's ok with me, I had enough about 3 or 4 years ago when most of the tapping was done with about 4' on the ground in the whole woods. On the flat or near flat wasn't bad tapping but climbing steep slopes was real hard. I'm not young enough to lift my leg up 4' to my side and then put that foot down and get myself up to that elevation just to repeat it while tapping and climbing a 50-80' slope. I think I was only able to get 1 or 2 laterals done in the 4 hrs time I had back then in my break between school bus runs when doing those steep slopes.

Burnt sap
03-14-2017, 08:10 AM
Keep them snowshoes handy.

saphound
03-14-2017, 08:12 AM
had no snow at all yesterday.
about 16 inches now and still snowing hard. Weekend temps look promising but collecting is going to be a lot harder.

tcross
03-14-2017, 08:33 AM
I'm not looking forward to the 20-24" + they're predicting for my area. **** snow blower is in the shop and my **** 4 wheeler has a busted cv joint! However... my shovel is still functioning just fine. I think with a good 6 pack I can convince the neighbor to bring over his plow and do a few passes.

mainebackswoodssyrup
03-14-2017, 08:47 AM
Keep them snowshoes handy.

This has been the most prolonged year on snowshoes we have ever had. 3rd week of December on, did line work and 1/3 of the drops for 5400 taps every weekend in snowshoes. Thank god for my partner's 20 year old son and his help! At this rate, I'll need them to pull taps :rolleyes:

Buddy 58
03-14-2017, 09:59 AM
Just plowed the driveway , didn't measure it but easily over a foot so far . Started snowing here about 3 am this morning . I have a JD 4030 - 9 foot heavy duty blade on the back - 158 loader on the front , Keep it home so I can plug block heater in . Sugar house is at my other farm , have a Alis charmers D17 - back blade and a loader over there . Will dig that place out Thursday . I'm retired from local highway dept. 32 years , it nice to only take care just the two drive ways on the farms . Drained all tanks last week and finished every thing that was in the front pan on my propane finisher , it doubles as my filter tank to , filter press hooks right to it . Any body remember ( March 15 - 93 ) ?

bowtie
03-14-2017, 10:54 AM
about 4-5" here in western ny, but they some more on the way. not like the coast and new england are getting, but more than most of us want.here, we are right on edge of lake effect country, 50 miles to the northwest they can be getting pounded with 3 ft of snow and it can be sunny here. if you have not experienced lake effect it is quite interesting, whiteout in one spot,clear a couple of miles down the road.

Buddy 58
03-14-2017, 12:46 PM
Just plowed the driveway for the second time , stuck yard stick in the snow on the porch - 18 inches so far .

Galena
03-14-2017, 01:12 PM
Just starting to get snow accumulating now, my tracks out to woodshed are already filled in. Gonna be a long one! Glad snowplow buddy coming over tonight.

Dill
03-14-2017, 01:17 PM
Crazy year. We got almost 4 ft in less than 2 weeks which then melted away in high 60s temps in feb. I'm in the 20+ zone for this one and another 6-10 on saturday. Looks like yet another mud season coming, which will make mud number 5 or 8 or something I've lost count.

Burnt sap
03-14-2017, 02:26 PM
Lol I know what you mean. My Daughter said to me the other day gee dad you sure tapped high this year. Yeah we had 30" of snow when we tapped need to haul a step ladder around to pull taps.

Buddy 58
03-14-2017, 05:52 PM
Just plowed the driveway for the third time today , yard stick says 26 inches on the porch . local news says 26.4 so far at the Binghamton airport , I bet northeast of me they are measuring more . Glad I got a good size JD with a loader ! And it isn't done yet , don't ya just love it .

johnallin
03-14-2017, 06:05 PM
Not much over here. Just plowed, no more than 10"...so much for the weather and news guys.

sugarman3
03-14-2017, 06:08 PM
23IN in Ephratah,i only asked for 5-6 IN IN THE SUGARBUSH ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ghs57
03-14-2017, 06:16 PM
I'm going to have to fire up the skid steer in the morning to move the snow. There is this odd lump in the drive in about the spot I parked the car yesterday...

lew
03-14-2017, 08:07 PM
We've got 38 inches so far. Not impressed

stoweski
03-14-2017, 08:41 PM
24" here. Wind is picking up a bit more now. No idea how I'm going to get to two of my tanks! It'll take me a few hours to reach them with a snowblower. Not exactly flat terrain.

adk1
03-14-2017, 09:04 PM
About the same here stoweski

Robert K
03-14-2017, 09:16 PM
March of 93
Ya I remember that, now that was a storm, this one today could add up but it's gonna take a whopper to beat 93

saphound
03-15-2017, 05:40 AM
This one beat 93 in my area. 41 inches on my front deck this morning...had 36 here in 93. Took 4 hours to plow my 200' driveway with an old Case tractor and backblade yesterday and probably 8 inches has fallen since then. Now I need more gas and can't get it cuz our road hasn't been plowed yet. I don't know how they're going to do it now. 40+ inches and uphill all the way. I'm the last house on a deadend road so no way to start at the top and plow downhill.

Robert K
03-15-2017, 06:34 AM
That is a pile of snow !!!
Sounds like a good day to fill the woodstove and make a pot of tea. This will be the day we're problem solvers at your local county will be busy trying to get you unplugged (road that is)
Good time to own a blower!!

saphound
03-15-2017, 06:55 AM
Just plowed the driveway , didn't measure it but easily over a foot so far . Started snowing here about 3 am this morning . I have a JD 4030 - 9 foot heavy duty blade on the back - 158 loader on the front , Keep it home so I can plug block heater in . Sugar house is at my other farm , have a Alis charmers D17 - back blade and a loader over there . Will dig that place out Thursday . I'm retired from local highway dept. 32 years , it nice to only take care just the two drive ways on the farms . Drained all tanks last week and finished every thing that was in the front pan on my propane finisher , it doubles as my filter tank to , filter press hooks right to it . Any body remember ( March 15 - 93 ) ?

Hey Buddy...not too far from you..I'm about two miles west of Vestal. Town of Owego does my road.So when you worked for the highway dept did you ever have to plow snow like this? Do you think those town trucks can handle it plowing uphill? Wish I still had a snowmobile about now. Just curious, thanks.

mainebackswoodssyrup
03-15-2017, 07:02 AM
Hey Buddy...not too far from you..I'm about two miles west of Vestal. Town of Owego does my road.So when you worked for the highway dept did you ever have to plow snow like this? Do you think those town trucks can handle it plowing uphill? Wish I still had a snowmobile about now. Just curious, thanks.

That's loader or bulldozer work now. Around 20" here in Peru, ME.

saphound
03-15-2017, 07:21 AM
Back in 93 they plowed it with a grader. Took them 3 days to get here with it. Sure hope that doesn't happen again. No sign of them yet today...

BAP
03-15-2017, 08:05 AM
Well if the plow trucks are set up right, with a set of chains on, a load of sand on and locking rear ends, they should be able to push a lot of snow. I live on a road that is about 4 miles of all uphill from the beginning and the Townline is 400 yards past me. Last night there was about 10 inches of heavy snow on the road when the town truck went by pushing uphill and he still had the wing plow down. I have seen times when they have had to pick the wing up to keep pushing with only the front plow down. Granted he wasn't moving to fast and you could he the truck working hard. Ended up with 16+" of a very dense heavy snow. Takes a lot of work to push it.

Wanabe1972
03-15-2017, 08:50 AM
I can't even tell how much snow we got. The wind picked up last night and my roof is clear on one side of the house and has 5 feet on the other side's Eve. The neighbors said 19 inches but I'm not sure how they how they measure it. Looks like I'll be getting the 200 foot road to my tanks cleared with the backhoe today and reset my releaser and pump. I pulled my releaser and flipped my tank before the storm in case we got wet heavy snow.

maple flats
03-15-2017, 09:00 AM
I ran the snowblower 2 times yesterday, about 10" each time. After the first time I plowed the sugarhouse with my truck. This morning I had a drift in front of my house, peaked dead center on the sidewalk at 4' in places, only about 3' in others. The city never plowed after 1pm yesterday, when they went thru this morning the pile at the end of the driveway was almost 4' high. That's better than how it was at my old house, there I was the first place around a corner which left the pile much higher.
In the driveway this morning I had over 2' again. I may need to let the woods settle a day or 2 before I check for leaks when the temps rise in 2-3 days for sap flow.

Buddy 58
03-15-2017, 09:09 AM
I have long history here . ( yes ) I have plowed snow like this , I by know means want to sound like a know it all , its just the way my life developed . I have plowed with - grader - ten wheeler - single axle - loader - the old Walters V plows . Storm of 93 our crew went 40 hours straight , as well did many depts in the whole northeast . 93 was different had plenty of wind with it all through it . Ice storms - whole different story . I could go on with a lot of tales of winters past but no , lets just get through this one . keep safe every one , to your question about can the trucks handle it , I hope they plowed through the storm and not waited to do it all at once .

doocat
03-15-2017, 10:31 AM
Only 26-27" total here 20 minutes south of Binghamton, NY. Lew I feel for you we had quite a time keeping up with ours and you got 10" more. Some people 10 minutes north of us were saying over 30" so it is varying a lot around Binghamton.

Craig

Burnt sap
03-15-2017, 11:23 AM
37" here it's just a big inconvenience is all. More work to reopen everything.

Homestead Maple
03-15-2017, 12:09 PM
We've got 38 inches so far. Not impressed
Sorry, couldn't help but chuckle a little on the "not impressed". It only helps to have that much snow in Alaska. Sustained winds here of 50 mph for awhile and gusts to 75. We had to be on the watch for flying mattresses as there were some in a transfer area that took flight. Some of them ended up over a quarter mile away.

SPILEDRIVER
03-15-2017, 01:57 PM
We've got 38 inches so far. Not impressed....just spread some wood chips on the driveway lew...your not boiling in this weather and we can bring you some more!!! and look at the brite side,lori hasn't had to work for 2 days now!!

DrTimPerkins
03-15-2017, 02:01 PM
UVM closed for only about the 3rd time I can remember since coming here in 1979. Of course it was an easier decision for the administration to make since it is spring break and all the students and most of the faculty are already gone. All that really means is I have to pay my staff time and a half to go in to plow yesterday and today. I'm still working....just doing it at home.

saphound
03-16-2017, 06:06 AM
Well I'll be darned, they made it through with a 10 wheeler with chains on. Fortunately this a very dry light fluffy snow. They kept the wing plow up going uphill and put it down on the way back down the hill. Then made another pass up and down.
On the downside, I don't know how the heck I'm going to carry 5 gallon buckets out with snow up to my crotch. I only make a couple gallons a year for the fun of it, and that don't sound like fun to me. :mad:

Buddy 58
03-16-2017, 06:31 AM
How long did you wait to get plowed ?

saphound
03-16-2017, 06:58 AM
They came through yesterday(wed) around 2pm, so about 24 hours. Not too bad considering all the roads they plow. Our road is not on a school bus route so we're used to waiting. Just glad we never lost power because repair crews wouldn't have been able to get up here. I didn't stock up on gas for the tractor or the generator because we were only supposed to get 12-20 inches. Doh!

lew
03-16-2017, 09:49 PM
We ended up with 42 inches. Luckily it wasn't like 93. Not a lot of wind with is one. Just finished getting sugarhouse plowed out this morning. Did very well if I must say so myself, only got stuck once! We've got the old 85 Oshkosh snowblower fired up at work. Making room for more snow to come. Nice to see the sun today, it's been awhile. Smiled river, having Laurie home for 2 days riding in the plow truck is not what I'd consider fun. She gets too nervous and yucky if you know what I mean!