PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade for next year

Maple Time
03-13-2017, 10:32 AM
After boiling on propane for my second season I am seriously considering upgrading for next year. I only have about 30 tapable trees on my property so I won't need anything too big, but I have a few questions.

Would I see much of an increase in efficiency by going for something like a mason 2x3 over a barrel evaporator with a flat pan? Do the pre heaters that sit on top of the pan do much preheating or are they more like a head tank? Also does anyone have any experience using the mason 3x2 xl? Thanks

motowbrowne
03-13-2017, 10:43 AM
After boiling on propane for my second season I am seriously considering upgrading for next year. I only have about 30 tapable trees on my property so I won't need anything too big, but I have a few questions.

Would I see much of an increase in efficiency by going for something like a mason 2x3 over a barrel evaporator with a flat pan? Do the pre heaters that sit on top of the pan do much preheating or are they more like a head tank? Also does anyone have any experience using the mason 3x2 xl? Thanks

If you want to cook faster and more efficiently, we're gonna need to know what you're using now. You say you're cooking on propane, so I'll assume you're using a turkey burner with a big pot. If that's the case, yes a 2x3 flat pan would be a big upgrade in terms of speed. Efficiency, perhaps. Flat pans and short cookers make for a lot of wasted heat. If efficiency is what you want, a 2x4 hybrid pan with flues in the back will be much much better than a flat pan. Faster too. And more expensive.

Maple Time
03-13-2017, 11:32 AM
Currently I'm using a 2 burner camp stove (30,000 btu each) with 2 pots, getting about 2.5 gph, a 20# tank is lasting about 7 hours.

motowbrowne
03-13-2017, 11:40 AM
A 2x3 with a flat pan should get you 5-6 gph, so it would cut your boiling time in half. You'll need nice dry firewood split into small pieces. You'd have to check with the users who have them, but I think the 2x4 hybrid pans do closer to 20 gph.

ash10383
03-13-2017, 11:57 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170313/9be7188341eef0befb298864694a087e.jpg
I built this one out of a fuel oil tank over the winter. Has two 28" x 18" flat pans. With preheated sap (steamer pan in the back) I can get 10 to 12 gph. With not much cost invested.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Cedar Eater
03-13-2017, 02:24 PM
What is it about boiling on propane that you don't like? Anyone with less than 100 taps who is used to boiling on propane might want to consider an electric evaporator. The one that Fyreaway made is an excellent design. If cost to build is an issue, the ones I'm using are cheap. If you don't have access to a 30A or 50A 240V circuit, then it can get expensive, but if you get one, it can be used for powering a welder, RV, meat smoker, or spa. If a 2X3 pan only evaps at around 6 gph, you can probably beat that with a 3X3 V bottom pan.

bowtie
03-13-2017, 05:24 PM
Had a mason 2x4 wth blower and flat pan, then bought a smokey lake 2x4 hybrid pan for it. With flat pan 12-14 gph with decent wood, hybrid pan 20 ish. If you want to use a hybrid pan I would look for a used evap for it, if you want the mason there is also a 2x4 xl available.was very happy with mason evap and pan, seems like a really good guy. Also like smokey ,enough so ,that I am buying a new one. Really can't go wrong with any manufacturer out there, just find one that has something suitable to your needs and budget.just remember, that most of us tend to expand quickly, so planning now can save you money in the long run, trust me on that. Lol

bigschuss
03-13-2017, 06:45 PM
You would see a huge increase in your efficiency by switching to a 2x3. The pre-heaters are not really that great at pre-heating. Just as you said, they are more of just a small head tank. With 30 tapable trees it is possible to get an evaporator that's too big. I have a Mason 2x4 and I have a hard time keeping it fed with sap on 50 buckets. I think you're right on the money with a 2x3.

325abn
03-13-2017, 08:55 PM
This rig might be for sale in a few weeks.

Bill@mysticmaple
03-13-2017, 10:44 PM
If you don't have more than 30 trees available to tap, you might be better to think about using a small RO to remove half of the water from sap. If its set up right, it can run on its own for without needing to be constantly watched over.

Maple Time
03-14-2017, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the info guys, I'm really just looking to speed up the process so I guess a small ro is something I should research more. Being able to get 5 to 10 gph off a barrel or oil tank arch I'm just not sure if it even makes sense to buy a real arch.

johnpma
03-14-2017, 03:46 PM
I built and used a barrel unit for two years with a 2x2 divided pan. I bricked it and added a small blower and got about 5gph with cut up pallets

I purchased a used mason 2x3 with blower and moved inside. Love the evaporator!! Still using pallets and splits from down trees on our property that are pretty dry. I'm getting about 8-9 gph if I realy push it and fire frequently We have 85 taps and have processed numerous gallons of sap over the last month. It's just a great well built unit! Very happy with what we purchased for the size of what we do.

If you want to tap more trees look around your town. I drive around and drool over the sugar maples I see that are not tapped

Also if you 30 taps are on slope set up a 3/16 tubing system and pull more sap from what you have

Either way you won't be disappointed with a W.Mason rig

Good luck!

anchorhd
03-14-2017, 05:58 PM
I'm using a 2x3xl. Newer version with the preheater on the fire.. I have not been keeping track of gph yet. I know it is 10 or a little over. I have found out what the term "dry wood" means. And the difference in running it between 1.5",1" or 1/2". Next boil I will try to get another set of eyes to track gph. I m loving it so far! Bill answers every question I have asked him.

c0ps
03-14-2017, 09:20 PM
I to have 35-40 taps, home built barrel, bricked it inside, last boil i added a fan and got 8 gal an hour. Now looking into a home built RO to cut down thecamount of buckets. 16068

Maple Time
03-15-2017, 08:25 AM
Also if you 30 taps are on slope set up a 3/16 tubing system and pull more sap from what you have

Funny you mentioned this I put 10 trees on a 3/16 line this year as a test and have had great results with it.

I got close to 30 gallons of sap in a 24 hour period during one good run and have around 90 gallons from it total so far this year, its producing much more then my buckets. I should be able to get most of my trees on 3/16 next year.

johnpma
03-15-2017, 12:47 PM
I'm using a 2x3xl. Newer version with the preheater on the fire.. I have not been keeping track of gph yet. I know it is 10 or a little over. I have found out what the term "dry wood" means. And the difference in running it between 1.5",1" or 1/2". Next boil I will try to get another set of eyes to track gph. I m loving it so far! Bill answers every question I have asked him.
16064I like that idea of having the prewarmer over the flame. I need to come up with a method to heat my prewarmer a little better.