PDA

View Full Version : Imperial or US Gallon? What are people using?

deckers007
03-13-2017, 08:08 AM
Just curious that since this site is catered to both Canadian and the USA Maple syrup enthusiast, what unit of measure people are using when talking about GPH of there evaporator, or any other measurement about maple syrup production.

Are people converting there Imperial gallon measurement to US gallon when posting on a thread started by an American? and Vise versa?

thanks
Just wondering

Galena
03-13-2017, 08:49 AM
Just curious that since this site is catered to both Canadian and the USA Maple syrup enthusiast, what unit of measure people are using when talking about GPH of there evaporator, or any other measurement about maple syrup production.

Are people converting there Imperial gallon measurement to US gallon when posting on a thread started by an American? and Vise versa?

thanks
Just wondering

Very good question. I think the default for most of us this side of the pond is the US 3.78l per gallon as opposed the Imperial 4.5l.

ennismaple
03-14-2017, 08:56 AM
Good question! RO's and evaporator capacities are generally quoted in US gallons. You buy a Barinox drum and they advertise 34 Imperial gallons = about 40USG = about 38x 4L. You ask us and most producers we know how much syrup we've made and we'll quote you in "maple gallons" meaning x4L equivalents. And then you get the people who quote in pounds of syrup made per tap...

Big_Eddy
03-14-2017, 11:42 AM
Easy Math - 10 gals of sap makes 1 litre of syrup +/-

I collect in Cdn gallons and boil in US gallons because that's what my tanks are marked in. Best thing about it - every time I pump sap up into my bulk tank, I get a bonus in extra sap. :)

Galena
03-14-2017, 12:11 PM
Good question! RO's and evaporator capacities are generally quoted in US gallons. You buy a Barinox drum and they advertise 34 Imperial gallons = about 40USG = about 38x 4L. You ask us and most producers we know how much syrup we've made and we'll quote you in "maple gallons" meaning x4L equivalents. And then you get the people who quote in pounds of syrup made per tap...

Waayy to complicated for poor li'l ol maff-dyslexic me. That's why I stick with litres.