PDA

View Full Version : evaporator build help

lshores
03-12-2017, 03:04 PM
I currently have a barrel stove arch with 18x34 flat pan.would like to build a 275 oil arch anybody have any design suggestions? Do's or don'ts? Thanks

barnbc76
03-12-2017, 07:27 PM
Do you plan on reusing your pan? Most 275gal tank demensions are about 25"x60". I supose you could make it narrower someone has probably done it. I posted my build a few months ago, I will see if I can find the link but there are so many 275gal arch builds on here. I didnt use any actual plans I just copied what I saw everyone else do. My father was the one who actually made all the ideas work by helping me build it. I am quite happy with it. I have a 25"x37" pan with 2 pots that sit at the front, 20'+ copper coil for a preheater and a small blower. It does about 6-8gal/hr.

I would insulate, I did not due to cost but I will for next year. I used regular brick I had laying around, it works. A blower is a must, even if it is small, the copper coil preheater is nice because I don't have to keep feeding the sap from my 55gal barrel sitting on a 6' platform, (it only brings up the temps to around 80-100 degrees but every bit helps. I bought a cast iron door for $50 at tractor supply, it is ok. I used 2 sets bed frames for angle iron 1.5", that was enough to weld up the frame top and have some left for a partial grate. It always seems to cost more than you think initially but don't let that stop you.
http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?29181-oil-tank-evaporator-arch-cheap

lshores
03-13-2017, 03:41 AM
Thanks for info I might use same pan for now but would like to go with a 2x4 pan eventually.im more curious about how deep to make fire box and about angling up to stack.