PDA

View Full Version : Any predictions on whats next !~

Wicked Sappa
03-12-2017, 11:14 AM
Ok sappas.........any predictions on whats in store for the rest of this season....should I we tap a few more trees we haven't yet or just be happy with whats out already?? I have another 50 taps I could put out but didn't, now im thinking theres still great days ahead......

advise NEEDED !

Mike
Chester NH
backyard boiler !

BAP
03-12-2017, 11:35 AM
If you have the capacity to handle them, I would tap them. When it thaws out, it should run good.

BreezyHill
03-12-2017, 03:51 PM
I would tap sugar maples only. We are deep in buds so the soft maple is pointless in tapping. There is going to be some more good days after this bone chilling freeze, not a full reset for the trees but a small one. If we get the snow on the ground it will mean even more days because you will be guaranteed to freeze up at night and not get as warm in the days as it would if the bright sun on the dark ground.

Remember this is farming...So you make hay when the sun shines and you harvest sap when the night freeze and the days are warm. Get all you can because this is only a temporary extension of winter.

Good Luck!

Ben

madmapler
03-12-2017, 05:20 PM
I probably shouldn't say this but I'm feeling pretty good about this season. I'm well over half of my best years quantity and my syrup is still AR., which is what it has been all season (no light, no dark) and recently it's been leaning toward light. My sap has been running pretty clear up till now and my sugar is still comparatively good. All good signs but no guarantees.

AdirondackSap
03-12-2017, 06:42 PM
Im close to a record season. Roughly 25 % of my taps are red maples. Ive been getting crystal clear good clean sap from them. The buds are.starying to swell. I think we will get some more sap. If i have to unplug the reds i will