PDA

View Full Version : starting to bud in Andover

koliver
03-12-2017, 10:58 AM
Some of my trees are starting to show signs of budding, so I think I am going to pull my taps this week. Did my 3rd boil of the year in the frigid temps yesterday. All told, I got close to 7 gallons from 6 trees/10 taps. New Mason 2x3 served me well and I will consider upping my tree/tap count for next year, if I can plan my work schedule accordingly.

berkshires
03-12-2017, 01:16 PM
Red or sugar maples? Seems early for sugar. Also - 7 gallons from 10 taps is awesome! Nice work!

Gabe

WESTMAPLES
03-12-2017, 01:24 PM
its up to you but honestly if you wanted to get the most out of them, leave them in, i keep going till the sap smells funky or tastes buddy, because even cloudy sap can still make great syrup... great job on the totals

Burnt sap
03-12-2017, 03:02 PM
Wow that's crazy. And here we are -20 wind chills and highs of 10 degrees.

WESTMAPLES
03-12-2017, 03:20 PM
yeah we had a high of 14 here today and the wind is nasty . i haven`t yet seen any almost or full budded maples in my area yet.... even the solf maples are holding on well , theres more sap to come for all of us , its just the waiting game to get it

berkshires
03-12-2017, 03:27 PM
yeah we had a high of 14 here today and the wind is nasty . i haven`t yet seen any almost or full budded maples in my area yet.... even the solf maples are holding on well , theres more sap to come for all of us , its just the waiting game to get it

I just hope we can get at least one good run with a few days/nights of over/under. I haven't seen one like that yet, and the season is halfway over! It just keeps going straight from frozen to too warm, with one day in the middle. Basically means one decent day of sap in a full week or more. Mother Nature sure has a sense of humor!

Gabe

eustis22
03-29-2017, 06:41 AM
Hard to believe he was considering pulling taps over two weeks ago....my sap has been running like mad. Sadly, I am almost out of wood so I will have to let this last bit run onto the ground as both barrels at the end of my 3/16 are full and I have to scramble for wood to boil it with.