PDA

View Full Version : Defoamer in Scum?

SeanD
03-12-2017, 10:00 AM
I skim off the thick foam/scum that builds up in the back pan. It's usually right at the float and the backs of the channels where the sap is coolest. Depending on the quality of the sap going in, that can be every firing or every other - even with defoamer. I feel like the defoamer is less effective in boils that have a lot of the thick foam in the back pan. I'm wondering if I'm skimming out the defoamer along with the scum. Does the defoamer attach to the thick semi-solid foam?

I typically get a thin layer of the semi-solid foam at the float box where the sap is coolest. That's also where I tend to put the defoamer. Sometimes, I think maybe I should put the defoamer into the open liquid surface about half-way down the first channel closer to the active boil.

I use canola oil as a defoamer.

Any thoughts?

abbott
03-12-2017, 08:06 PM
I've gotten lazier over the years about skimming off the scum. I've made 150 gallons of syrup this year and still haven't unpacked the skimmer. Not saying that's a good thing. I have scraped some of the buildup off the back of the pan when I wasn't boiling.

I would say of course you remove some of the defoamer in the scum, but I have no idea how much. I would recommend using your defoamer in the front of the flue pan, whatever channels need it. It will get carried to the back. I also use canola oil, check the pan after each firing and defoam as needed.