PDA

View Full Version : Smokey Lake Pan Question

steve J
03-12-2017, 08:59 AM
I have a mason 2x4 with a blower and my current pan is the flat pan that came with my evaporator. I have heard that the Smokey Lake 2x4 hybrid pan can produce a much higher evaporation rate than a flat pan. Has anyone used such a pan on a Mason 2x4 evaporator? The side walls to a mason come up on an angle and I wonder rather they interfere with the pan? I have both insulating board and fire brick on the walls.

Woodsrover
03-12-2017, 09:25 AM
Curious about this too. I have the same 2x4 Mason. I really like the looks of the Smokey Lake pans and am considering going that route next year.

GramaCindy
03-12-2017, 11:06 AM
I also had a Mason 2x4 and was looking to speed up my boiling time. Less wood, more syrup....I contacted Jim Schumacher. I have his preheater for the Mason and really loved the hot sap coming right into the pan. But last year I was looking to make a big step. I learned from Jim, that the modifications to the Mason would be somewhat extensive to get a Smoky Lake pan to sit correctly on the arch. I decided to go with the evaporator and pan from Jim and I could not stress enough what a HUGE improvement it was for me. I got the 2x5 drop flu pan and boy does that baby rip. I have AUF and can boil off 25 gallons an hour easily. Great guy to deal with also, regardless of some trolls on the site saying otherwise

Flatpan1
03-12-2017, 12:37 PM
Call Bill Mason and see if his 2x4 raised flu pan set will fit.

bowtie
03-12-2017, 01:43 PM
I had a mason 2x4 with blower and purchased a sl hybrid pan, I had to cut the edges of the steel where the pan sat,used a grinder with cutoff wheel, took about 10 minutes. The pan worked well got 17-20 gph with good dry wood. The boil would jump out of the front of the flue section. Still have a brand new float box for it, never used it,was going to have port cut into, but sold the rig later that year. I think most would be happy with the hybrid pan,for the money one of the best way to get more out of you set up.

steve J
03-12-2017, 03:42 PM
How many gallons per hour where you able to get out of the raised flue pan?

steve J
03-12-2017, 03:44 PM
Is Bills hybrid deferent than the raised flu pan pictured above?

Flatpan1
03-12-2017, 04:17 PM
I am getting 23 to 27 gph. I'm not the greatest with firein on time. I have auf and only run the blower at about half speed. Added
Add a smokey lake auto draw off and it's a great set up for me run about 180 taps and have made
27 gallons of syrup so far this year

SPILEDRIVER
03-12-2017, 09:31 PM
now I'm curious..ive got the mason 2-4 mason(new fall 2016} flat pan aand arch...I was going to buy the smokey lake hybrid pan but I was under the impression it was a straight swap...my arch sides are at a angle but its very slight....whats the issue with the pan swap?

steve J
03-13-2017, 07:07 AM
I think the issue might be that with the sides to our walls coming up on an angle than you build them out with arch board and brick the drop flue to the pan may run into the bricks. At this point I may ask Bill what he can make that will out perform my flat pan.

smaple
03-14-2017, 04:57 PM
I had up until this year a smokey lake hybrid hobby pan on my mason 2x4 arch. No problems with flues clearing the sides of the arch. The flues are about 5 inches inward from both sides of pan. The pan has 8 flues. The only problem you will have is that the flues are flush with the back of the pan. My arch originally had the exhaust out the back wall. I cut the back wall off the arch and extended it about 8 or 10 inches, or whatever the height of the back wall was. Then the stack that was on the back I welded on the top. The 2 sides and the back wall I used 14 gauge hot rolled steel. Boxed it all in, then welded the old back wall with the stack flange on top. Boiled really good. Used it 4 seasons till this year, would normally boil 25 gal. per hour with the blower that came with the arch. I made 225 gal. of syrup off that pan the past 4 years, lots of boiling. But it works!!

SPILEDRIVER
03-15-2017, 02:05 PM
I had up until this year a smokey lake hybrid hobby pan on my mason 2x4 arch. No problems with flues clearing the sides of the arch. The flues are about 5 inches inward from both sides of pan. The pan has 8 flues. The only problem you will have is that the flues are flush with the back of the pan. My arch originally had the exhaust out the back wall. I cut the back wall off the arch and extended it about 8 or 10 inches, or whatever the height of the back wall was. Then the stack that was on the back I welded on the top. The 2 sides and the back wall I used 14 gauge hot rolled steel. Boxed it all in, then welded the old back wall with the stack flange on top. Boiled really good. Used it 4 seasons till this year, would normally boil 25 gal. per hour with the blower that came with the arch. I made 225 gal. of syrup off that pan the past 4 years, lots of boiling. But it works!!..if that's the case and ive got to cut and lengthen the arch I mite as well buy the 2x5 and make the cutting worth it....wont that be a bummer!

n8hutch
03-15-2017, 07:43 PM
If you order your pan from Jim this spring he would build it to fit your arch. Best thing you could do is contact them, I got a quote on the pans I bought almost 2 years before I ordered them, no High Pressure Sales Pitch, great to deal with. If you bought a pan off the rack then you will be doing some cutting probably.

SPILEDRIVER
03-15-2017, 11:07 PM
If you order your pan from Jim this spring he would build it to fit your arch. Best thing you could do is contact them, I got a quote on the pans I bought almost 2 years before I ordered them, no High Pressure Sales Pitch, great to deal with. If you bought a pan off the rack then you will be doing some cutting probably.good advice...thanks

CaptT820
03-24-2017, 09:45 AM
If you need higher gph rates, Bill does sell a 2x6 evaporator with pans, its just not listed on his website.

wiam
03-24-2017, 02:51 PM
If you need higher gph rates, Bill does sell a 2x6 evaporator with pans, its just not listed on his website.

Had one of Bill's 2x6 rigs with tubes instead of flues in the back. That rig boiled like no flue pan I have seen.