PDA

View Full Version : problem with gradient

TRAILGUY
03-12-2017, 04:15 AM
I have a 2X6 drop flue and 250 RO third year with this set up. Last boil all most lost it the wife open doors and added water and saved the day. Lucky on wine yet. Never had problems before. Started draw off at +7 when up to close to +20. Then it happened again and I pulled off at +6 when to +12.

1. Will check level
2. Will check thermostat

any ideas

Russell Lampron
03-12-2017, 05:49 AM
Sounds like you were making syrup in the middle of your pan. Watch the bubbles and when it looks like syrup in the middle draw some off and dump it back into the pan behind the middle section to push it toward the draw off. Try running your pan a 1/2" deeper and fire consistently. You may be drawing off too slow too. Running a little deeper will help with that. I run mine at 1 1/2" and regularly start my draw at 7 and watch it go to 9 or 10 with the draw off wide open. I actually like doing it this way so that my syrup is heavy. I correct the density in my finisher before I filter and it is easier to thin it down with sweet from the front pan than it is to make it heavier in the finisher.

mellondome
03-12-2017, 06:13 AM
How much bubble rise are you getting in the front pan.? If it is too high, it will fool the float and sap level on the previous section. Allowing you to get very low in the final sections without you knowing. This will cause temps to sky rocket as you draw off.

eustis22
03-12-2017, 07:51 AM
> correct the density in my finisher

I'm sorry to interrupt but how are you doing this?

wnybassman
03-12-2017, 08:29 AM

You add thinner stuff to thicker stuff. Personally, I am correcting density about four feet from my evaporator so I draw off near syrup from my syrup pan to bring down the thicker syrup I draw off. Others use sap or distilled water with good results too.

TRAILGUY
03-12-2017, 09:49 AM
evaporator level thermometer was of by -3

Sugarmaker
03-12-2017, 09:53 AM
What is a evaporator level thermometer? of by -3 what? inches?
Sounds neat?
Regards,
Chris

TRAILGUY
03-12-2017, 10:07 AM
evaporator was level when I checked it today. thermometer was of by -3 so when I was reading +7 it was really +10. note 0 is boiling point of water. All most burned pan on last boil.

wiam
03-12-2017, 10:39 AM
evaporator was level when I checked it today. thermometer was of by -3 so when I was reading +7 it was really +10. note 0 is boiling point of water. All most burned pan on last boil.

+20 will not burn your pan. Lack of fluid in the pan will burn pan. Maple sugar is way past +20.

mellondome
03-12-2017, 11:48 AM
Boil point of water constantly changes... and some days by more then 3 deg from the previous day.

eustis22
03-12-2017, 12:28 PM
>You add thinner stuff to thicker stuff.

This is non-66 brix to 66 brix?

Russell Lampron
03-12-2017, 04:06 PM

After the last draw off and before I run out of sap I light the burners on my finisher to get it up to filtering temp. I then check the density of the syrup and correct as needed. I draw off heavy while I'm boiling and to thin it down I draw sweet out of the evaporator until I reach the correct density.