PDA

View Full Version : Syrup pan with auto draw drawiing 5 gal ata time

huntingken111
03-12-2017, 03:54 AM
My new setup this year is a 3x7 raised flue pan and 3x3 finish pan (has four compartment). I also added a Smokey Lake crescent auto draw to it. When I get to my desired temp it will draw (temp will go up 1 to 2 degrees) and draw off about 5 to 6 gallons. I was hoping to filter at time of draw but way to fast for that to happen. Then pan will finish refill and temp will drop to 215 degrees. Then the wait is on. Am I doing something wrong? The syrup is syrup according to hydrometer.

mellondome
03-12-2017, 05:38 AM
Are you allowing the draw off to go wide open? How deep are you running your front pan?

Trapper118
03-12-2017, 06:04 AM
This is my first year with a new system as well. Mine is a bit smaller, 2x6 also with a new auto draw. I was having the same issue. It was almost like batch boiling the syrup. I finally figured out that in this new system I was running the front pan too deep. I was at 1.5" when I was experiencing the "batching." Now I backed the front pan down closer to 1-1.2" and it seems to work much better.

Wanabe1972
03-12-2017, 07:15 AM
Your autodraw is not supposed to draw all the way to 215 . I'm pretty sure if your test the drawn off syrup it's going to be way under syrup. I have a 2x6 with auto draw and a throttle valve . When it draws off I adjust the flow to maintain the temp as close to 219 as I can. It will fluctuate from 218 to 220 but ends up being almost perfect in the end. Once i start drawing for the day my valve seldom shuts off (just runs a small trickle)and if it does it's only for a shot period. If I have enough SAP I've made 3 gallons an hour on the 2x6.

huntingken111
03-12-2017, 07:46 AM
Sorry it stops drawing when it is suppose to at .1 under the temp I have it set for (if 219 that day shuts off at 218.9), then after shut off it will slowly go down to 215 as float and depth of about 1.5 inches catches up. I was running at a inch deep but it emptied the pan and I had to quickly use my "oh s**t buckets. Now I am gun shy but last night also figured out my new float has a leak in it somewhere so was not working properly. Mellondome to answer how deep: 1.5 to 2 inches deep and I don't think I have a chose but to allow it to open all the way.. I don't see a way to change ball opening open or closed but at a snails pace'

Urban Sugarmaker
03-12-2017, 08:17 AM
You should have a ball valve before the draw off valve to slow down the flow out of the pan. You want to get it so the valve opens 40-50 times per hour. This way your floats will work better and you will get lighter syrup. Sounds like you are drawing off way too much at a time. See if you can get it stabilized with a throttle valve. More frequent, smaller draws works better.

On mine I have the throttle valve only open about 1/4. I just have to be careful to watch for niter clogs. Also, it can take a little while on my slow 2x4 flat pan to get the gradient and the draws stable. It shouldn't take as long on your setup since it's much faster.

Clinkis
03-12-2017, 08:32 AM
Agree with Urban Sugar Maker. I have a Smokey Lake Auto draw off as well and it says right in the installation instructions you need to install a throttle valve between syrup pan and draw off valve. I also run mine about 1/4 open and I draw about every 5-10 mins once the gradient is established. You don't want it to draw too quickly or it will ruin your gradient in your syrup pan. You will need to play with the throttle valve to find the ideal setting for your evaporator to achieve a steady draw. I run my syrup pan about an 3/4" deep.

huntingken111
03-12-2017, 08:47 AM
I do have a throttle above draw off. Thanks. We will see how that works and also drop level down to about an inch

maple flats
03-12-2017, 09:07 AM
My understanding on the Crescendo model was that it opened slowly and only opened the amount needed to maintain the desired temperature. Do the directions on that model say to use a throttle valve ahead of the auto valve.
On my Simplicity, I have one and it works well once I get the first valve set right.
I think you are running too deep. Mine is run at 1". If the only benefit on the crescendo is that is opens and closes slower, but when open is fully open, you do need a throttle valve ahead of the auto draw. Then you need to boil at a shallower depth, gradually work down to about 1" as you get the flow regulated satisfactorily. If the temperature reads much more than .5 under after the valve has closed you need to slow the draw flow. .3 under is great if you can get it there after a draw. I'm still working on getting mine right, I started with about 3-4 degrees under after the draw, I'm now getting about .7 to .9 under. Trying to get to the .3 under.
On my rig I find it helps to manually open the auto valve for about 10-12 seconds when it reaches 218 the first time each boil, after that I let it do it automatically. Depending on the weather, I change my draw temp. On low pressure days I set it at 219.2 and on high pressure days at 219.4. Seems to work for me.
Once you get your throttle valve set, just make sure it is open enough, if the temp rises too much you need to tweak the valve open a little more.

Clinkis
03-12-2017, 09:37 AM
I have the simplicity as well. Just checked their website and the crescendo uses the same valve and opens and closes in the same manner as the simplicity so you definitely need to use the throttle valve.

Sugarmaker
03-12-2017, 09:49 AM
You guys can boil at 1 inch if you want but I will stay at 1.5 - 2 inches. Seems much safer.
Draining the front pan is not desired.
Regards,
Chris

huntingken111
03-12-2017, 06:54 PM
I want to thank you all for the help. I lowered the front pan to 1.5 inches ( because I am with Chris I tried one inch depth and almost lost my pan) and started my valve above draw at about 1/4 open. Drew off about 2 gallons. Now I am at about 1/8 turn open and draw off a little under 1/2 to 3/4 gallon. Temp goes up about .3 degrees during draw and when closed goes down to about 217.4 to 217.6. Now I know I am close and will play with it from here. Draws about 15-18 minutes now.

Sugarmaker
03-12-2017, 07:18 PM
I want to thank you all for the help. I lowered the front pan to 1.5 inches ( because I am with Chris I tried one inch depth and almost lost my pan) and started my valve above draw at about 1/4 open. Drew off about 2 gallons. Now I am at about 1/8 turn open and draw off a little under 1/2 to 3/4 gallon. Temp goes up about .3 degrees during draw and when closed goes down to about 217.4 to 217.6. Now I know I am close and will play with it from here. Draws about 15-18 minutes now.

That sounds about right! Keep boiling!
Every rig is different and there are good reasons why they work the way they do. Sometimes it takes a bunch of trial and error work to see if you can change how it is preforming.
Regards,
Chris