PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Woes

New Hope Mapleman
04-12-2007, 09:35 PM
Have one farm pump Delaval 777 with an oil reclaimer that has been giving me 25" all season. Pump worked flawlessly until a week ago at about 5:30 when the pump oil hose broke. No problem I fixed it all and the next day the same thing happened between 5:00 and 6:00. Changed the type of hose to a reinforced rubber heater hose and set it back up. Today I found there was about 1/2 gallon of oil in the reservoir and about 2 gallons of water. Now we have been draining the water/condensation out daily.

Some of you guys know more about these systems than I so if you have any input I'd appreciate the help. I don't want to wait till next year to fix the problem as it never happens that way.

I do have a moisture trap in the system. The oiling is only adjusted with ball valves not actual drippers as many other have. We have oil feeding to both bearings and a seperate line to the inlet side of the pump.
I wonder if the oil is breaking down or what?

Thanks for any input you can give.

New Hope Mapleman
04-13-2007, 03:50 PM
I'm sure there are alot of guys on here who know more about these vacuum systems than I do. Any takers with ideas?

This is my first year with the reclaimer and I like it other than this set of problems.

Thanks
Dan

Jim Brown
04-13-2007, 04:19 PM
Guys; i just bought an old dairy vac pump(De laval Model#73) no motor, I just hooked an old 110 motor to it and she appears to pull good vac. Is there any thing about those old girls I should know about? I cleaned out the oil res. and it appears to be OK. the tag says 3/4 hp 750rpm-1hp 1000rpm. I was hoping to put a gasoline engine on it(5hp) but I think that would be to fast?
Any one using one I need some input?
Thanks in advance
Jim

802maple
04-13-2007, 04:35 PM
your gasoline motor will run it just fine all you need to do is set the run speed to what you need it to be by adjusting the throttle

brookledge
04-13-2007, 06:57 PM
You can also ajust the speed by changing the pulley sizes.

New hope
I'd check your moisture trap. Oil doesn't break down and change into water.
Keith

New Hope Mapleman
04-13-2007, 08:45 PM
Check the moisture trap for what? I know it was empty because I checked that. I was told some of the pump oils are biodegradeable? Anyway I'm trying to find out there's nothing wrong before I assume the worst.
Thanks

brookledge
04-13-2007, 08:58 PM
I was just sugesting to check the moisture trap to make sure it was working properly. If that is then the only thing I can suggest is to change the type of oil or better yet if you know the type in there now, go back to the source and ask if it is suppose to break down like that.
But as I said before I have never heard of oil breaking down that way. If you drained out 2 gallons of water from your oil resevoir then something is going on.
I use non-detergent engine oil in mine and I know some use atf instead of paying the extra cost of vacuum pump oil.
Keith

New Hope Mapleman
04-14-2007, 06:37 PM
I didn't know that you could run ATF! I'll have to check with the supplier. We showed him what was in the in reclaimer and his immediate responce was Who doesn't like you? I'm just hoping that its more a case of my ignorance rather than someone elses.

Thanks

brookledge
04-14-2007, 08:05 PM
I agree. for your sakes I hope no one is trying to sabotage you
Keith

powerdub
04-14-2007, 08:18 PM
I agree with brookledge, oil does not break down like that. If it did and you drained it off you would have to add 2 gallons of oil. I would take a long look at your moisture trap or whatever is between your moisture trap and your pump. Is the pump shutting off at night? Do you have check valve? Does the water accumulate through the day or settle in during an off time?

New Hope Mapleman
04-15-2007, 10:56 AM
Ok, vacuum flow from releaser through 1 1/2" PVC to the moisture trap (Delaval canister type with plug in bottom. then two inches directly to the vacuum pump. There is a T before the pump which allows oil to flow into the pump to help keep the veins oiled. Exhaust goes directly into the reclaimer. I do not have a check valve. Maybe that is an issue, but I don't know why it should cause this problem.

The reclaimer has a drain at the bottom which I use daily to drain out the water, just as I would an air compressor.

My unlce came down and looked at it and said the pump was too big for the job-he is used to air conditioning vacuum evacuation before freon installation. I tried to explain, but he couldn't understand why you might want a 50 cfm pump. I finally told him it syrup was something that crazy people do. That means some of our equipment won't make sense. I don't think the pump is too big.

One more thing I should add-the sap freezes under vacuum earlier than in the lines?! Maybe this is a factor. I don't have this issue on the other system, at least I haven't found ice in the booster and still had a sap slow.

I guess I have to learn alot more! There seems to always be a new area to study.

Thanks for any help!
Dan

maplehound
04-16-2007, 02:21 PM
Is your pump by any chance actually pullling sap into it? Without looking at your set up I am not sure but most moisture traps are ment for moisture not a full stream of water ( sap) if your tank or releaser filled up it may have pulled sap directlly into the pump.

New Hope Mapleman
04-16-2007, 03:31 PM
I have seen no evidence of any overflowing of the releaser. I tried overfilling one side to see what happened. The little ball inside worked so well I had to take the top off after I shut down the vacuum to retrieve the racketball. The tank had not been full yet this year.

I'm just baffled because it worked perfect for more than four weeks then all this stuff?! Guess its a mystery that will just need some investigation. My aunt offered to stake her Dobberman down at the sight. I explained to her that I would still have to get to the tank and I didn't have money enough to buy meat every time I needed to pass by.

Thanks

New Hope Mapleman
04-22-2007, 05:22 PM
I was told the other day that the oil I am using is synthetic and is breaking down. Switch to flood and it should go away. Wish I was still running as I would like to try this idea.

Thanks for all your ideas. If anyone knows anything about this problem I would still like to hear, as I believe there is widom in a multitude of couselors.

Dan

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
04-22-2007, 06:38 PM
Tribal Counsel??

New Hope Mapleman
04-22-2007, 06:47 PM
Don't have any clue!