PDA

View Full Version : Classroom project - tamper-proofing buckets?

MapleLady
03-11-2017, 09:56 AM
I plan to tap a few trees with my students in the next week or so and the trees are in front of our school. We will be using sap buckets with lids that attach to the spile and I want to make things as tamper-proof as possible. I thought I would zip-tie the lids to the buckets. My plan would necessitate cutting the zip-ties off every time we empty the buckets. Any suggestions out there for an easier way to manage this?

BSD
03-11-2017, 10:16 AM
I plan to tap a few trees with my students in the next week or so and the trees are in front of our school. We will be using sap buckets with lids that attach to the spile and I want to make things as tamper-proof as possible. I thought I would zip-tie the lids to the buckets. My plan would necessitate cutting the zip-ties off every time we empty the buckets. Any suggestions out there for an easier way to manage this?kids are going to be kids no matter what you do to keep them tamper proof... they'll find a way to mess with them.

maybe just put some up for show but don't plan on boiling it?

John c
03-11-2017, 10:53 AM
Yes it's true that kids will be kids, however I think the zip tie idea would detour 99% of the kids from putting forth any effort. Zip ties are pretty inexpensive, so I think it would work. If you notice one of them tampered with just dump it out. I doubt any kid will take the time to put a new zip tie on if they did tamper with it. It will be obvious if any tampering was done.

saphound
03-12-2017, 04:35 PM
Don't know how many buckets you'll have, but maybe a zip tie in back as a hinge and a small padlock in front would make it easier to open and empty.

Waynehere
03-12-2017, 05:09 PM
Of course you could always put up signs about webcams in use, whether you do or not. :)