PDA

View Full Version : half pint evaporator ?

buckeyeboy
03-10-2017, 01:23 PM
How much sap do I need to start my first boil? How much sap before I get my first draw ? When I shut down and not going to boil for 4-5 days what do I do with the sap in the evaporator ?Any idea how much a half pint weights,with the bricks in. Any ideas how to move a half pint with the bricks in,would need to move it about 100 miles. Thanks for any help you can give me.Looking at a used one is the reason for all the questions.

slammer3364
03-11-2017, 06:12 PM
probably about 40 or 50 gal. of sap.Depends on sugar content for first draw, I just run 100 gal. thru a 18 x 48 not much sugar yet.Keep it right in evap,if it gets real cold I put a heat lamp on it so it doesnt freeze.Take the bricks out (they should not be mortared)put them in when you get home....Best of luck and enjoy

Sweet Shady Lane
03-11-2017, 06:36 PM
I have a half pint and I start mine with about 35 gallons, remember the boiling rate is only about 6 gallons per hour give or take, my first draw off is after about running 50 or so gallons again remember the 40 to 1 rule, as for moving one I don't know I have mine on wheels so it's easy to move around, if this is your first season with it have fun and TRY to keep it simple you will get HOOKED

bowtie
03-11-2017, 06:51 PM
I move my 2x6 fully bricked off my trailer and not my sugar house with a pallet jack and three of us and a lot of grunting and equal amounts of swearing, when I moved my 2x4 I used my bucket on my tractor to lift it. If you have a tractor or a friend with one you can lift with bucket to a trailer or truck bed, then use a ramp with pallet jack to remove. Lay plywood down on path and pallet jack should pull it nicely.

Dave Puhl
03-11-2017, 06:51 PM
Ask yourself how far am I going to take the syrup making...just for fun and family a half pint is fine.... if you want to take the next step get a 2x6...

buckeyeboy
03-12-2017, 05:18 AM
Thanks for all the info.