PDA

View Full Version : Draw off technique?

BSD
03-10-2017, 09:47 AM
I'm still learning how to operate my arch and pans efficiently. I think my draw offs are going OK, but with always, looking to improve and make sure i'm doing it well.

My pans are 2.5x2 each. I have 3 drop flue pans and 2 finishing pans. the finishing pans each have a single divider, so each channel is 12" wide I also feed from my head tank with a boiler valve to gate the flow, as i don't really trust the float it came with (something to improve over the summer) My draw offs seem to be about 1 gallon each. Then there is about an hour until the next draw off ( i boil around 40 GPH without a blower), so that makes sense. Should i be flooding the back pans with sap to push the syrup to the ball valve? or just let it ride like normal? I seem to make syrup or **** near close syrup in both halves of my draw off pan and that's why i've been flooding to push it around the last baffle.

Any advise would be appreciated.

psparr
03-10-2017, 11:49 AM
A gallon at a time seems a bit much for a 40 gallon per hr rig. But each rig works differently. You could try a continuous slow draw. Will keep things running more evenly. Not a surge then nothing for a while.
Just my thoughts.

maple flats
03-10-2017, 12:39 PM
I tried as much as possible to run continuous draw on my 2x3, 2x6 and my 3x8 until last year when I got an auto draw.
It was hard to regulate it slow enough on the smaller rigs but it can be done. On my 2x6 I got draws slow and steady lasting from about 10 minutes up to maybe 45 minutes, before I lost temperature. At 40 gal/hr you should be able to. As soon as you get draw off temperature open the draw off valve and run it slow while watching the temperature. If temp rises open a little more, if it starts to fall close it a little. With practice you can get long slow steady draws which will be best to maintain constant density.