PDA

View Full Version : Like the Energizer Bunny

ennismaple
04-12-2007, 03:42 PM
The sap is still running like crazy! We'll gather over 4000 gallons of sap today. Thank goodness for the RO - without it we'd have to boil for 30 hours straight. We'd still be boiling today's sap when we start gathering tomorrow's sap without it.

It's funny that I had to talk my father into buying the RO and now he considers it the best money he's ever spent!

Russell Lampron
04-12-2007, 05:40 PM
I consider my RO the best thing that I have bought for my sugaring operation too. It was a hard decision at the time because of the price but it has saved in so many ways that I couldn't do without it now.

Russ

oneoldsap
04-12-2007, 08:43 PM
Same thing here Martin. Looks like we might get a crop and a good one. Taps have been in since the 12th of march and we are making Fancy syrup. When did you tap?

ennismaple
04-12-2007, 09:16 PM
We tapped March 10-12 so they've been in for a month. It's nice when Mother Nature cooperates!

ennismaple
04-16-2007, 12:20 PM
It's unbelievable but the sap is still running and we got more snow overnight! One of our north facing bushes has done really well this year and the tank was almost running over last night. We've joked that the sap is running so well in that bush that the mainline must have fallen and it's sucking water out of the swamp!

We've made 35% more syrup than last year and it looks like we could hit 50% more before things are done. The forecast calls for highs well over 10 Celcius (50 F) by mid week and no freezing at night so we're likely done within a few days. It'll take us a solid week to wash everything up and get it put away for next year - and then the golf clubs come out!

cheesegenie
04-16-2007, 04:22 PM
I pulled everything off today, had a big wet snow overnight. Syrup was getting really dark, happy with what I made, other stuff to do now, like
firewood and back to the real job.