PDA

View Full Version : Birch Syrup

Sugar Bear
03-09-2017, 06:41 AM
I hope it is not a sin to mention the word Birch on this forum.

I have some nice Black Birch trees on my property.

I am thinking of trying to make a little Birch Syrup this year.

Can anybody forward me to some good information on the Birch Syrup process?

Austin351
03-09-2017, 07:29 AM
Ive made it for the past 3 seasons and found much of what I needed by doing an internet search. Most of the sap processed is up in Alaska and eastern Europe where maple trees are scarce or obsolete.

Sugar content is 1.0 - 1.5% so expect to be around 100:1, I usually only finish about a quart. Although the syrup is "interesting" in flavor (much like molasses and very woody), I prefer to bottle and freeze the sap for drinking later through out the year. I have used the syrup as a glaze on meat as well as a sweetener for my coffee.

The one thing I did learn myself is you don't want the boil rolling into syrup because it can get away from ya quickly. the last couple degrees to finish are done with just enough heat to where you can see evaporation happening.

John c
03-09-2017, 07:30 AM
As far as I know it is the same process except it takes a lot more sap to make syrup...a lot more!
I've made some out of white birch and I can't say I liked it.

berkshires
03-09-2017, 10:36 AM
I've read about it a bit, and decided against it myself. The main issue seems to be that the type of sugar in birch sap is quite different. Maple is mostly sucrose, while birch is a mix of fructose and glucose. And apparently those types of sugar can burn even at boiling temperature. So once it starts to get concentrated on the evaporator you have to turn it waaaay down. A hard boil will destroy it.

Good luck!

Gabe

hogisland42
03-09-2017, 12:14 PM
Has anyone ever tasted birch syrup.I have and In my opinion, not for human consumption:o

Cedar Eater
03-09-2017, 01:20 PM
I have made birch syrup and I plan to again this year. The first thing to understand is that it is not "pancake syrup". It's great for glazing meats and I prefer it even to maple syrup in BBQ sauces. It's hard to say why. You just have to try it to discover that. Some people prefer it to maple syrup over vanilla ice cream. It is an excellent addition to braising mixes for meats.

For the method, you just boil it down much like maple syrup but the temperature really doesn't get to 212* before the syrup gets thick. You want to creep the temp up very slowly toward the end because glucose and fructose caramelize at lower temperatures than sucrose. White birches put out a lot of sap, so be prepared for up to 10 gallons per day per tap in case your blacks are the same. And expect a wintergreen taste in your black birch syrup, because that taste in the branches and buds is one way to confirm a black birch.

And finally, though I hesitate to mention this because you would never do it with maple syrup, add two cups of white cane or beet sugar to 25 gallons of birch sap as you are cooking it. You'll like the boil better, you'll get a lighter colored product, it will still taste great in your sauces, and it might even be something you would put on pancakes. Good luck and enjoy.

mainebackswoodssyrup
03-10-2017, 06:15 AM
Correct, birch syrup is not a table syrup. Good when mixed right in some home brews though.

Clinkis
03-10-2017, 08:30 AM
I use it in my brine for smoked salmon and wife likes it in salad dressing. On its own I personally think it tastes disgusting. First time I tried it I wondered why anyone would bother to make it but now I appreciate it as an ingrediant to other recipies.

Sugar Bear
03-11-2017, 07:34 PM
My Birch Syrup making enterprise has just filed for Chapter 11.

Scm
03-11-2017, 08:55 PM

Cedar Eater
03-11-2017, 09:06 PM
I am thinking about it this year. Just don't know when to start. Am I late?

Birch season starts when maple season ends.

MN Jake
03-11-2017, 10:28 PM
I tapped a white birch last year and found its flavor to be ok. Nothing like maple but it wasn't bad. You're right, when you're pulling maple taps it's time for birch tapping. I plan on at least fifty one of these years. Ihave a buddy that said go ahead and tap his several years ago but I never have any energy after maple season ends. With tubing now that may happen.

BC Birch Tapper
03-21-2017, 11:38 PM
We've been making it in the west coast for 10 years now & I enjoy every season. I was raised on the east coast & toured sugar bushes when I was young, even made maple syrup on my mum's kitchen stove when I was in school. As mentioned previously it flows after maple & you're absolutely right it is Not a pancake syrup! Where it excels is in cooking....chefs love it. bold flavours that go great in cooking. I even sell some to a micro brewery......so I get checks from the brewery! I like that......a lot! Lots of maple producers are giving it a try....which I think is a great idea if it works for them. The thing to remember is....it is not maple...it's a different tree, different sugars & a different end use. Try it on good vanilla ice cream, as a glaze over meat or fish ( awesome on planked salmon) or for cold nights in the sugar shack......mix it 50/50 with whiskey

Sugar Daddy
03-22-2017, 01:10 PM
Birch season follows maple. The year I made birch syrup I pulled my maple taps in the morning, cleaned them up and tapped the birch tress that afternoon.

blissville maples
03-26-2017, 05:43 AM
Very slow boiling, cannot have a rip roar fire, it will pop and ping and sound real bad!!!! Weird stuff to boil, not very flavorful but extremely good for you, healthy healthy has some of the highest antioxidants.... Similar to chaga but not as powerful....Birch sap makes a good astringent....Good luck

sap retreiver
03-26-2017, 06:52 AM
What's the better birch to tap? White black silver. I have access to all. Am I wasting my time with one or the other?I'm sure they all give, just didn't know if one is better than the other

maple75
03-26-2017, 08:13 AM
I made a few bottles last year from White birch and what we call yellow birch. The white birch gave large amounts of sap. I think from my unscientific observation that the yellow birch sap contained higher sugar level, but in the end it's all about mass quantities of sap with either specie.
Last year I had 4 steam pans on a large wood fired stove (with steel top). It worked well for birch syrup since you don't want to boil too fast. it will scorch if you boil with too intense heat. I ruined it the first time I tried the year before. Last years batch still ended up pretty dark. Keep your fire down.

It ended up being very popular, my wife gave it to some of her friends that are chefs. They loved it and keep asking if I will make more.

madmapler
03-26-2017, 05:34 PM
What's the better birch to tap? White black silver. I have access to all. Am I wasting my time with one or the other?I'm sure they all give, just didn't know if one is better than the other I have white, yellow and black on my property and the sugar tests about the same......Low.... .6 to .9