PDA

View Full Version : It's not syrup yet

JennyW
03-09-2017, 12:02 AM
So, I only have one tree, and just get a couple quarts a year. Last year I bought a hydrometer, it broke the first day. I guessed after that and I am sure I over boiled because it crystalized. It was yummy though.
This year I bought a digital thermometer and have been trying to add 8 degrees (easier said than done). I thought it was right, but decided to do one more test. I froze it. (Just one small jar)

It's solid. So not syrup, right?

I had canned this in 4-8oz jars, and I hate to redo all that work, opening them all, boiling more, and re sterilizing the jars....

Do I have to! From a safety perspective?

I've never had a problem with seal failure or mold before.

Super Sapper
03-09-2017, 04:22 AM
It is not syrup yet if it freezes. If you are happy with the flavor keep it in the freezer until you need it and the refrigerate it after opening. It will keep without molding.

JennyW
03-09-2017, 06:36 AM
Is it safe to keep the other jars out of the freezer? They're all sealed

Super Sapper
03-09-2017, 08:46 AM
I wouldn't until you plan to use it. As long as you room in your freezer I would keep them there or reprocess it.

Snappyssweets
03-09-2017, 10:03 AM
When you reprocess you only need to go to 180 in order to kill bacteria and mold. I tend to go to about 185 filter into a pan that is on a burner on simmer so that the heat remains until its done filtering. Take the temp again and begin bottling. I would redo them all but I am a stickler when it comes to my caning things.

Super Sapper
03-09-2017, 01:41 PM
She needs to boil it down to syrup so she will need to boil and then refilter.

JennyW
03-09-2017, 07:42 PM
Thanks everyone