PDA

View Full Version : No sheeting, lots o syrup

blackstrapking
04-12-2007, 11:51 AM
well I thought I was all done, but the weather cooperated. Boiled the last couple of nights but last night I don't know what was going on. I kept checking my syrup for sheeting. Wouldnt even get close to sheeting, and after boiling for a very long time, decided that I should check it with the hydrometer, and it was way past syrup. It did this all night long, Dont really know what is going on, Didnt know if anyone had run into this before. I should probably just quit while im ahead, but I cant seem to stop its, like being addicted to drugs. Thankful for any input.

tapper
04-12-2007, 03:19 PM
I have never been able to get syrup to sheet. I dont know if its the shape of my scoop or what it is? The 1st sugarmaker I watched could make it hang in a nice sheet 3 or 4 inches the full width of his scoop.

Pete33Vt
04-13-2007, 04:59 AM
I ran into the same thing last night. Not a good apron and bubbles were all wrong for syrup, but hydrometer said syrup. Actually two points heavy at the start of draw, I got that under control, and boiling went the same all night. I belive it had alot to do with the atmoshperic pressure. Had a really overcast snowy day. Also seemed like everytime it would start snowing I would get a draw. Funny how that worked.

blackstrapking
04-13-2007, 09:14 AM
thanks guys, I feel better knowing Im not alone. I've always had lots of sheeting and had to be patient with the hydrometer to make syrup. I've got another 300 gallons of sap to practice on tonight.
Thanks Jason

Sugarmaker
04-13-2007, 12:31 PM
Couldn't get syrup to apron 4-11-07 either. didn't think much about it till now! watched the temp and checked with Hydrometer.
See my comments on this syrup in pennsylvania thread.

We had severe winds and down draft that affected the boil and the draft!@

Regards
Sugarmaker

Pete33Vt
04-14-2007, 04:02 AM
The same here Chris, the air was wicked heavy, steam would just barley get out of the sugarhouse then slam back down to the ground. But everything worked out. I run my level a little deeper in the front pan when it get to be this far into the season. Every load of sap is different and boils differently.

RoundAboutSugaring
04-14-2007, 08:47 PM
Sorry to hijack and to be such a newbie, but what is sheeting? How do I do it?

Thanks

Sugarmaker
04-14-2007, 09:07 PM
RAS,
When you have syrup at 215 or more take a scoop / dipper preferbably with a straight end , and dip it into the syrup, getting several tablespoons of syrup, bring the dipper above the syrup and drain the dipper of syrup back in to the pan. Hold the straight edge of the scoop horizontal with the ground and wait for most of the syrup to drain off. The syrup dripping off of the dipper or scoop should be in 'drop' form ( like thick rain drops).

But as the syrup nears 219 the syrup 'drops' will "hang" together and form a gigantic single 'drop' or 'sheet' or 'apron' off of the scoop when you let the syrup run off. This is what we call aproning. (shaped like a old women's apron is what my dad always said). When we see this we are within a degree or so of syrup. And if you did not have any other equipment you could make syrup with this method and be very pleased with it on you pancakes the next morning. Try it and compare the apron pattern with the temp. Soon you wont need to look at the thermometer to KNOW you have syrup.

Think of this, wood fire is roaring, sap is coming in the evaporator. Electric goes out, thermometer just failed two hours ago, and the hydrometer just got dropped and broke. Grab a flash light and check the apron and draw off some nice syrup. :D Hope this helps.

(This ( Sheeting or aproning) is a back up to all the bells and whistles we have today to assist us in making syrup as close to the exact density as possible)

Regards,
Sugarmaker

HanginAround
04-14-2007, 10:33 PM
Not a very good pic, but best I could find and you can see the idea.

http://www.sugarcanemills.com/images/Syrup.jpg

ibby458
04-15-2007, 06:03 AM
I've found that a good sheeting syrup can be a couple points off perfect, in either direction, depending on - room temp?, humidity?, Barometric pressure?.

I think if you blended all the syrup over the course of the season, it would be darn close to exactly right. Obviously, it's not practical, but it's still a good thing to try out regularly.