PDA

View Full Version : Continuously flowing light amber to medium

Mikemartin274
03-08-2017, 05:57 PM
Is it possible to go from a darker grade syrup to a lighter grade on a continuous flow evaporator without cleaning the pan?

abbott
03-08-2017, 06:28 PM
Yup. Syrup color is largely dependent on the sap entering the evaporator. Especially in a case where you're pushing out stuff that was boiled two days ago when it was 50 degrees out and the sap had set for a day and replacing it with fresh cool sap. When that better sap comes out the other end it will be lighter syrup. Not sure if I'm making sense here or not...

BAP
03-08-2017, 06:58 PM
It is possible but not guaranteed. The quicker you can process the sap and faster you can boil it increases the likelihood you will make lighter syrup but doesn't mean you will.

ennismaple
03-09-2017, 12:42 PM
Definitely. We've gone from a low amber to a mid light (old Ontario grading) over the course of a boil with good fresh sap pushing through the stuff that's been sitting in the evaporator for a few days or more. Washing the pans helps but processing sap quickly has an equal or greater impact on syrup colour.

Mikemartin274
03-27-2017, 12:49 PM
Thank you. I had been cleaning the pan thinking I couldn't but I don't have water at shack so it's hard carrying pan around.