PDA

View Full Version : Tubing unwinder for 3/16"

Diesel Pro
03-08-2017, 08:07 AM
I was provided a quote for my 3/16" starter list which I executed right down the line. Problem is the unwinder that was quoted is for 5/16 size rolls. I learned quickly that it is not worth a pinch of crap for 3/16 since it will not fit on the hub. I guess I could cut and weld the wires to make the hub smaller, but the OD will still be much larger than needed as well. Suggestions on something more fitting?

Cody
03-08-2017, 08:26 AM
We run with a mainline down through the valley.When we start hanging the tubing we put a in line fitting with a hook and hook it on the wire that is supporting the mainline.Then we take off up the hill and go to the trees that we are going to tap,just be holding on to roll and keeping good tension.When we get to top tie it off to last tree.Then start all over again from top to bottom.Also take a 36" dog leash, loop it through a extra roll or two throw it over your shoulder so we don't have to walk all the way to bottom to start over.

Cedar Eater
03-08-2017, 07:39 PM
My arm seems to do a pretty good job with no more than 800' of 3/16.

wnybassman
03-08-2017, 07:56 PM
My arm seems to do a pretty good job with no more than 800' of 3/16.

Holding on to a stick or something so the loops don't come off the end of your arm too. I must admit though, my arm gets kinda tired lol

BSD
03-08-2017, 10:58 PM

Electrical wire un spooler and a road cone. works perfectly for 3/16 and 5/16. i managed to do almost two whole rolls off my arms, but that sucked climbing up and down the mountain trying to do it that way.

maple flats
03-09-2017, 06:10 AM
I have the exact spooler you show in the picture and I sometimes use it for 3/16, always use it for 5/16. It works fine. However, on 3/16 I find the tubing does not slide from tree to tree as well as the 5/16 does so I most often carry it on my arm. To minimize twisting I pull off 4 loops from the coil as I walk then I reverse the coil and pull 4 more. I keep repeating as I either walk up or down the route I'm stringing the lateral. I start on at the main, attaching it to the main but not connecting it yet, and then I go up to the top, picking up all the trees I want on that line, then I attach it to the last tree, having pulled tight all along the way. Then I determine which will be the top tree on the next lateral, attach to that and do the same going down until I reach the main and attach it there. Then I go back up the one line and back down the next cutting in drops and drilling/setting the taps. Then, I drill the main line, attach the loop from the hook connector to the saddle and the line is done. Then I move on to stringing more lines, all while carrying the 3/16 on my arm. If one arm tires (I am 70 yrs old) I just use the other at one of the times I turn the coil around to minimize twisting. A couple to turns on that arm and my preferred arm is ready again.