PDA

View Full Version : Is there a easy way to tell if a 3/16 line is filled with sap or filled with void?

GV2
03-08-2017, 05:56 AM
I have a question about a potential blocked tee in my 3/16 line. This week's run just started last night. I have some bubble activity from my lowest 2 trees down to the collection which is a trickle, but no sign of life in the tubing between 20 trees upstream. Is there a easy way to tell if the line is filled with sap (i.e. blocked) or filled with just a void? I am not experienced enough (2nd year with tubing experimenting) to tell by the weight of the line. I would guess pulling/re-inserting a tap is a way to tell, or is that a no-no (e.g. tap will probably leak afterward)? I will probably replace the tee around where bubbles activity begins to see what happens next, but other troubleshooting advice is appreciated.

n8hutch
03-08-2017, 06:13 AM
Normally when I have had a plugged T the Debris was visible on the uphill side of the fitting, meaning that it didn't enter the fitting it got stuck on the outside of it. But I've only had 2 or 3 plugged fittings and you could see the Plug clearly each time.

BSD
03-08-2017, 06:13 AM
I have a question about a potential blocked tee in my 3/16 line. This week's run just started last night. I have some bubble activity from my lowest 2 trees down to the collection which is a trickle, but no sign of life in the tubing between 20 trees upstream. Is there a easy way to tell if the line is filled with sap (i.e. blocked) or filled with just a void? I am not experienced enough (2nd year with tubing experimenting) to tell by the weight of the line. I would guess pulling/re-inserting a tap is a way to tell, or is that a no-no (e.g. tap will probably leak afterward)? I will probably replace the tee around where bubbles activity begins to see what happens next, but other troubleshooting advice is appreciated. start with the tap directly above where you're getting bubbles (gasses from the trees).Move upward from there. bring a pair of needle nose vise grips to pinch off the line if you find a plug so you don't take a bath. pinch at least 6" up hill of the T so you don't weaken the tubing near the t you're replacing.

If it is full and blocked eventually the trees will start leaking around the taps as the pressure builds. You can pull a tap and re-insert it, but i wouldn't make a habit of it.

GV2
03-09-2017, 05:36 AM
Thanks Cedar Eater for pointing me in the right direction on another post. Thanks BSD and N8hutch for telling me what to look for and the tips on how to fix it. Good learning experience for me. This bad boy was located on the 3rd from the bottom tree. Running well now!

Diesel Pro
03-20-2017, 10:10 AM
If it is full and blocked eventually the trees will start leaking around the taps as the pressure builds. You can pull a tap and re-insert it, but i wouldn't make a habit of it.

I'm curious the reason behind not pulling taps and reinserting? Not questioning, just trying to learn.

psparr
03-20-2017, 10:12 AM
I'm curious the reason behind not pulling taps and reinserting?

One reason is it introduces more bacteria into the line.

Second you'll lose some sap out of the line creating less vacuum for a little while.

motowbrowne
03-20-2017, 01:18 PM
One reason is it introduces more bacteria into the line.

Second you'll lose some sap out of the line creating less vacuum for a little while.

And if you keep taking them out and putting them back in it's possible that they won't reseat in the hole and you just created a vacuum leak.