PDA

View Full Version : Food Grade Silicone safe to use?

SyrupHog
03-07-2017, 07:00 PM
Looking for some input/experience/advice on this one. Got a 304 SS pan welded up the other day and upon getting it home and testing for leaks realized that it has several small pin holes that drip after a few minutes. :cry: Taking them back to get them "touched up" is not an option at this point...so, do you guys think I can get by this one season by using some of this stuff:

http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Paint-Décor/Maintenance/Caulk-Coatings-Seals/Caulking/Silicone/300-mL-Translucent-High-Temperature-Silicone-Sealant/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I2031183?Ntt=high+temperature+silicone

It's a high temperature 100% RTV silicone that says it's certified for food contact to max temp of 400 F (204 C).

If you were to use it, do you think I could get by using it on the outside of the pan rather than the inside? Given the pin holes are all located at the bottom edges of the pan I was hoping I could use it on the outside and then use some flat stove rope to help seal/insulate it from the direct heat of the evaporator (homemade oil tank version, pic below). Figure I'm gonna use the rope anyways to help keep smoke down around the edges of the pan.

So...thoughts? Anybody used some

Thanks,
Chris

2017 - newbie with 45 taps and so far 80 gallons of sap that's frozen solid in holding barrels! Oh, and a family that keeps asking me when the syrup will be ready! Geez, nothing like pressure. :lol:
Save

Save

SaveSave
SaveSave

psparr
03-07-2017, 07:09 PM
Just boil with it. The sugar will plug the holes if they're as small as you suggest.

whity
03-08-2017, 12:23 PM
Just boil with it. The sugar will plug the holes if they're as small as you suggest.

Agreed. If it's bad silicone I is food grade. Not the silicone II

Joe Hillmann
03-08-2017, 12:42 PM
My pan had two leaks that developed when I tried to bend to fit the arch better. I planned to fix it after I was finished with that batch but the syrup got into the holes and burned or turned to caramel and sealed the holes. That was three years ago and it hasn't leaked since.

wmick
03-08-2017, 02:31 PM
If the "let" the sugar plug the holes" doesn't work, I would consider using a 2-part epoxy, such as JB Weld, rather than silicone..
Non toxic, high heat resistance and hard as a rock.

SyrupHog
03-08-2017, 07:01 PM
Ok, thanks all. I'll try to boil and let it seal itself. Prefer not to have any silicone if it can be avoided. Looking forward to getting things going this weekend. Cheers!