PDA

View Full Version : Hurtin' Bad in CT

valleyman
03-07-2017, 09:20 AM
Seems like the general consensus in CT, at least southern CT is that we're drying up down here.:cry:

Moving forward (like our season), I will be ready by Mid January. I was physically ready, but mentally I said it's too early. Guess I should have listened to a couple of wise sugar men early on.:emb:

Just 7 years ago, I was using Valentines day as my start date.

"Seasons change and so did I, You need not wonder why..."-The Guess Who

lafite
03-07-2017, 10:06 AM
I'm with you. feb 14 used to be a great target date. Mother Nature usually has the last say...

DaveB
03-07-2017, 10:10 AM
Years ago sugar makers had a limited window of time that they could tap because the tap holes would start drying out but with modern taps and systems that window is much longer. Most larger producers start tapping in January and are collecting sap through March so I don't see why most producers that use the modern spouts and systems shouldn't be doing the same.

I was thinking the same thing of just tapping in January not because the goal posts have moved but why not? If I can still collect for 8 weeks and start in January, I might gain an extra run or two with the January thaw. I've always tapped around St Valentine's Day as well but then you run into years like this or last that make you think you should have tapped earlier and then you run into a 2007 or 2015 where you can't even tap until March because it's too cold.

Stiets
03-07-2017, 10:20 AM
I hear ya Valleyman. This year has been rough for myself but it was a big learning year, so not a total blow out. I keep telling my wife, "you can't put a price on the knowledge I or we both learned". Not only just learning my new equipment and finishing the smalls on the new sugar shack, but learning all about observing all the trees, frozen/thawed ground, bugs during high temps and so on. Next year we will be ready by the first week January to tap if the weather and temps are ready.

Helicopter Seeds
03-07-2017, 11:38 AM
I think Sap is running today and tomorrow- last night I did not collect much, but it really only warmed a few hours since the freeze, and I collected earlier than normal.

I have to be optimistic on this year - but I also would have rather tapped a few weeks earlier. Last year I tapped mid January, was done mid March. I will plan to be ready earlier next year. Less worrying about bugs and spoil and budding.

valleyman
03-07-2017, 12:01 PM
I think Sap is running today and tomorrow- last night I did not collect much, but it really only warmed a few hours since the freeze, and I collected earlier than normal.

I have to be optimistic on this year - but I also would have rather tapped a few weeks earlier. Last year I tapped mid January, was done mid March. I will plan to be ready earlier next year. Less worrying about bugs and spoil and budding.

It could be worse. We could be living in a part of the country where there are no sugar maples and we wouldn't even be having this conversation. We'd have to be buying the sweet stuff!

Woodsrover
03-07-2017, 12:16 PM
It could be worse. We could be living in a part of the country where there are no sugar maples and we wouldn't even be having this conversation. We'd have to be buying the sweet stuff!

Xactly!! Play the hand that's dealt ya!

Stiets
03-07-2017, 12:43 PM

Well said right there. I have family that wants us to move to North Carolina. My reply......"No thank you. No sugar maples down there." At that point they realized how truely addicted I am to making syrup.

madmapler
03-07-2017, 12:48 PM
I'm in southern vt. and the last few days since the freeze have been pathetic. I just finished tapping just about 2 weeks ago. I wouldn't let what's happening now determine things.

killingworthmaple
03-07-2017, 04:06 PM
My worst year ever!!! 80 taps and only made 3 gallons of syrup I am wondering now much the drought is playing into it. Every day it's too warm or too cold.

Samuelvw1
03-07-2017, 06:26 PM
I picked up a new yard in my area with 34 taps and I'm adding more daily to that property so far I've got 2.45 gallons 1592215922

Atgreene
03-07-2017, 07:25 PM
It happens. We had one year we tapped 750, boiled 5 times. You do this long enough you'll find out that mother nature could care less what we think.

Cat3616
03-07-2017, 08:58 PM
I hear you. Had my first run on feb 25th of 325 gallons of sap and only produced 3 gallons of syrup....thought I did something wrong but really- really low sugar content. the second run on mar 4th of 125 gallons of sap and produced 3 gallons....getting better! lines are still running tonight. no buds yet as I'm on the north side of a hill

valleyman
03-08-2017, 08:41 AM
It happens. We had one year we tapped 750, boiled 5 times. You do this long enough you'll find out that mother nature could care less what we think.

LOL, typical woman! :o

valleyman
03-08-2017, 08:45 AM
My worst year ever!!! 80 taps and only made 3 gallons of syrup I am wondering now much the drought is playing into it. Every day it's too warm or too cold.

That sucks, man, sorry to hear
Interestingly, my buddy produced 24 gallons in Oxford from 70 or so. He went in mid January. Talk about microclimates. Yeah, the wicked see-saw temps this season aren't for the weak hearted.

merryall
03-08-2017, 03:20 PM
We've had our highest production ever and also our earliest run. Began tapping Feb 5, two weeks early. Sugar content dropping from 2.2 to 1.8 but no sap flowing since the freeze-up last week. Will it recover? Anyone's guess.

BSD
03-08-2017, 11:13 PM
i swear, by the end of next year i'll figure out when my new trees are going to run. I went over to the woods today to see if i could scrape up 10-20 gallons from the last run to finish off a little boil i worked on today. and low and behold there was almost 190 gallons in the tank at 630. These mountain trees run so differently than my trees i tapped last year, either way I'm happy they ran, i had just finished sweetening the pan again this afternoon, and i ran about 150 gallons through it tonight before i decided to call it an evening.

I might be able to salvage this season yet.

Mike Van
03-09-2017, 07:26 AM
i swear, by the end of next year i'll figure out when my new trees are going to run.
I might be able to salvage this season yet. Good luck with that one Matt - 20+ years, i'm still working on it!

valleyman
03-13-2017, 03:49 PM
Seems like I cried wolf a bit. I heard about several CT guys getting a nice little run last week. I even managed to get another 40g from my 20 taps, mostly from the more recently tapped.

scottdevine
03-14-2017, 04:07 PM
be interested in hearing form those that stayed tapped...will your season go into April?

Mike Van
03-14-2017, 05:20 PM
I tapped some 2 dozen + trees 2 weeks ago Scott, they should be running 'till the bitter end, whenever that is. This is my worst march ever, so glad I jumped the gun in January. I took the chains off the tractor 3 weeks ago, I had to plow today with the payloader. There is some s***load of snow out here, kind of glad I took those other 100+ pails down, gonna be bad enough getting to whats left when it starts running again. Prolonged cold like this, i'll bet the syrup goes back to a lighter stage.

Woodsrover
03-15-2017, 07:39 AM
Had to put the chains on the tractor last night. I've got a wicked driveway. Going to have to use the tractor for bringing sap up anyway as this is too much snow for my UTV.

Hoping it thaws and starts to run Fri/Sat/Sun. Still have 300 gallons frozen in the tank at the bottom of my lines and I'm 7 gallons short of my goal for the year!

DaveB
03-15-2017, 07:56 AM
Yeah, it kind of feels like we are back to the beginning of the season the way things look. It looks like Friday or even Saturday at the earliest that the sap will flow again. Things look pretty seasonable till the end of the month too. I was slightly worried there for a little bit but this week long freeze has certainly helped.

Woodsrover
03-15-2017, 08:16 AM
Going to be interesting to see what happens with the sap. I have a pretty sweet pan right now but I'm considering dumping and scrubbing and see what this sap produces....

scottdevine
03-15-2017, 10:02 AM
what a twist to a crazy season!

Stiets
03-15-2017, 10:09 AM
what a twist to a crazy season!
That it is Scott. Here's that snow you were talking about. Not going to let it stop me, just slow me down a little. Hope to get at least 2 more boils in before I run out of wood.

hodorskib
03-15-2017, 08:18 PM
I am hoping that the check valves that I installed this year will pay off when things warm up. Tapped out on the 18th of February so hoping for the best.

Helicopter Seeds
03-16-2017, 03:12 PM
Today was supposed to be a high of 32, but I guess we hit 40. I may have a wee bit of sap to collect tonight! I had not expected any until Friday or Saturday. If weather holds out, it is a race against the buds.

BSD
03-16-2017, 08:31 PM
That it is Scott. Here's that snow you were talking about. Not going to let it stop me, just slow me down a little. Hope to get at least 2 more boils in before I run out of wood.Let me know and i'll bring you a load of pallets. i have to get a load tomorrow or Saturday for the next run.

It Looks like I might salvage a late season start with the forecast for the 10 day. Going to have to check the tank in the morning and see if it ran today, i suspect it might have run a little.

Stiets
03-18-2017, 06:32 AM
Let me know and i'll bring you a load of pallets. i have to get a load tomorrow or Saturday for the next run.
Thank you very much, I will let you know.

Helicopter Seeds
03-18-2017, 02:57 PM
did not collect as much as hoped yesterday (7 gallons), even though it warmed. I am afraid my taps are drying up, it has only been 4 weeks though for me.

cross fingers for today, it warmed earlier and higher than expected.

Mike Van
03-18-2017, 04:01 PM
I think it's just too cold - Up here anyway, most nights since the storm are down to 11 or 12 degrees - A few hours close to 40 just isn't enough to thaw before they freeze again. Hard to believe 2 weeks from today is Apr. 1

DaveB
03-18-2017, 06:34 PM
My taps ran a little yesterday and ran a little better today. Tomorrow I'll collect and see what we get. I agree that it's been pretty cold at night and it does seem to take the trees a couple of days to wake up from that.

BSD
03-18-2017, 06:48 PM
I think it's just too cold - Up here anyway, most nights since the storm are down to 11 or 12 degrees - A few hours close to 40 just isn't enough to thaw before they freeze again. Hard to believe 2 weeks from today is Apr. 1The snow is insulating the ground as well so that'll slow them down a bit too. Mine ran a bit yesterday and today, but nothing to write home about. should have about 250-275 to collect tomorrow I hope

BSD
03-18-2017, 06:52 PM
Also, make sure you guys check your tanks before you start dumping sap into them. I had to dump 40 gallons after i started pumping into my transfer tank, thankfully i got up into the truck to check flow and noticed the funky smell immediately. had to kill the pump and bring the tank home and sanitize it. I would have been pissed if i put 200 gallons into the tank and then discovered it.

Woodsrover
03-18-2017, 09:05 PM
Put 150 gallons through the RO and pan tonight. Don't look now but I think this cold weather turn this syrup light again. I was making coffee for the past two weeks but tonight was a different brew. Can't wait to see what the next few days bring.

Whatever comes this will be the last week for me. Need four more gallons to make my goal and I'm done.

Mike Van
03-19-2017, 05:38 PM
I picked up a whole 10 gals today - Sap, not syrup - Not bad though, hadn't had any since Mar 9. I still think they're froze, more to come yet this season.

Helicopter Seeds
03-19-2017, 06:23 PM
Just collected 15, plus 13 yesterday, and they are still dripping - actually did not even pick up the remote lot, so probably another 4 gallons there. Sam picked up quite a bit too.
Now I am optimistic to get another gallon of syrup, if weather continues.

"If we had some ham, we could have some ham and eggs, if we had some eggs"

Woodsrover
03-19-2017, 06:28 PM
...I still think they're froze, more to come yet this season.

I think you're right. I'm hoping to collect 500 gallons by the end of the week and have the last boil Friday night and Saturday. I'm planning on this to be the last weekend. Guess we'll have to throw a party on Saturday!!

mspina14
03-19-2017, 06:58 PM
Sap finally started running today since the deep freeze.

I haven't boiled in about 2 weeks.

I collected about 40 gallons of sap from 80 taps on vacuum. It's still running tonight. Hope this is a big run.

Sap is crystal clear. But sugar is only about 1-2% brix.

Mark

BSD
03-19-2017, 08:04 PM
i picked up 215 this morning from the last few days of runs, by the way it was running by 1030 this morning, i'm guessing i'll have another 200 tomorrow morning to burn through. I need to get a filter press, i've got 8-9 gallons to finish before i fire up again tomorrow. My prefilters and orlon are only good for 4-5 gallons before i plug them all up.

DaveB
03-21-2017, 05:09 AM
I picked up 200 gallons yesterday at one of my collection points and the sap was flowing really well. Based on that and how the sap was running at the sugarhouse I suspect this week will be pretty decent. Temp is also down to 25° this morning so hopefully that helps the sugar content but we'll see.

Despite missing those early runs in late January and early February, I think I'm going to eek out a decent season based on what I've produced so far and what I'm collecting this week. If I had tapped in January, I probably would have missed the sap now but who knows. I'm just glad I didn't miss out entirely!

5050racing
03-21-2017, 12:37 PM
BSD What I do I usually have 4-5 gal of syrup to filter is draw off or have it finished then let it sit overnight then ladle off say 4of the 5 gal of just clear syrup reheat to 180 n jar,I don't even filter it since I use pre-filter while I'm finishing it and keep pouring it back in. Then reheat the last gal n just filter it it works for me great! I'm making a 5gal pot n putting a draw off spigot about a gal off bottom so I don't have to ladle it.