PDA

View Full Version : Shurflo Recirculating bypass

alldaysit
03-06-2017, 09:18 PM
Could someone provide information on what they mean when they say they have a recirculating bypass to help with vacuum? Thanks from a newbie!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waynehere
03-06-2017, 09:24 PM
You run a line from your puddle in the tank to the inlet of your pump to have a steady stream of sap and keep the diaphragm wet. It will produce a lot more vacuum. Usually you will put some kind of valve to restrict the flow as you don't need a full stream, just enough to keep it wet. I use a star fitting at the inlet of my pumps.

Ivyacres
03-06-2017, 09:41 PM
For newbies a picture or ten is worth a thousand words.
Thanks!!

alldaysit
03-07-2017, 08:14 AM
So basically, I could just add in a line from the tank to the mainline just in front of the pump? And I should restrict that down to just a small amount?

Does the pump then run continuously?

Waynehere
03-07-2017, 08:23 AM
That sounds right. And yes, the pump will run continually circulating the sap from the tank and really pulling harder on your main. I just use 5/16" for everything and as long as you don't have any leaks, you should get a steady pull in your lines. The idea is to turn down the recirc line to get more vacuum in the main. You will need to play with it and see.

n8hutch
03-07-2017, 09:04 AM
I think this is an interesting idea, there is a guy near me running the G2 Double Guzzlers on a 3/16 hybrid system. And he has a way that he primes the pumps to get them pulling harder, last time I was there he was pulling 26.5-27 Inches steady.I Was impressed, now I'm thinking about putting a Saddle just ahead of my pump with a 5/16 line and a small valve .Great Idea.

blurr95
03-07-2017, 09:43 AM
I started just using a 1/2" plastic valve to try to recirculate, there was no control over it really. Even having it cracked open as small as I could get it was still letting to much through. I then ran 1/4" tubing through a 1/4" brass needle valve, what a difference. I have really fine control with the needle valve, and even with it wide open, it still doesn't have a lot of sap recirculating, but enough to make it draw good.

Jason

alldaysit
03-07-2017, 10:06 AM
I started just using a 1/2" plastic valve to try to recirculate, there was no control over it really. Even having it cracked open as small as I could get it was still letting to much through. I then ran 1/4" tubing through a 1/4" brass needle valve, what a difference. I have really fine control with the needle valve, and even with it wide open, it still doesn't have a lot of sap recirculating, but enough to make it draw good.

Jason

Awesome!

alldaysit
03-07-2017, 10:07 AM

Jason

What type of fitting do you get to fit that 1/4" line to your main?

BAP
03-07-2017, 10:53 AM
I used a tee in my mainline before the pump then a stub piece of mainline, then used a barb to pipe thread fitting. I then used a pvc threaded shut off valve and bushed the other side of the valve to accept a 1/4" needle valve hitched to a piece of line that I put in the low end of the tank to suck sap out. I find that as the vacuum level rises, that I have to add more recirculating sap to keep the pump sucking sap or it will stop pumping against the high vacuum if it doesn't have a steady stream of sap running threw the pump. I get 21-22" of vacuum.

blurr95
03-07-2017, 10:40 PM
What type of fitting do you get to fit that 1/4" line to your main?

I have a 3/4" main, I got a 3/4" barbed tee that tees to a 1/2" female thread, then used a brass connector to go from a 1/2" male thread to a 1/4" compression. Worked phenomenal, wish I would have done that from the start.

Jason

awpoolco
04-05-2017, 08:40 PM

Jason

I just don't even know what a needle valve is or where to get one. Maybe if i saw a picture of one it might help, got one??????

MISugarDaddy
04-06-2017, 04:56 AM
Home Depot carries them. Just do a search on their website and a picture will come up.
Gary

awpoolco
04-06-2017, 06:08 AM
Ah, its a tiny valve like a gate valve. Perfect

Nemo5
04-06-2017, 07:20 PM
Here's mine
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170407/774f1d6ce46e48f509a39a51f7bbdc36.jpg