PDA

View Full Version : What Firing Timer do you use?

johnallin
03-06-2017, 06:50 AM
I've been using the timer on my phone, but it's a pain to re-set.

I'm looking for something bigger, maybe wall mounted and certainly with an auto re-set.
Any pics or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, John

PS: sap started up late Sunday and ran all night over here

Ghs57
03-06-2017, 07:52 AM
I downloaded something called Repeat Timer. It's an interval timer, which once it's set up, it will run for about an hour and chime every 6.5 minutes (or whatever your interval is). It will cycle through your intervals a number of times, then has to be restarted. Restart is easy, just hit the start button again. The top timer count down display is a good size, but the second, or interval timer display, is pretty small. But it works for me. I turn the volume all the way up to be sure to hear it.

It was free, and there are others out there. I haven't tried any others.

5 Oaks
03-06-2017, 09:12 AM
I have an Apple I-pad. downloaded a time, can set to any time. has LARGE numbers. However, you do have to start it every time. But i have found that to be ok. The timer always happens to off when I grab my beer. I feed wood eater and hit start.

ronintank
03-06-2017, 11:52 AM
I play record albums and fire every time i have to flip over the album or change the album.
I do love my old rock and roll albums.

tcross
03-06-2017, 12:00 PM
i bought a cheap and small digital timer that I mount right next to my firebox door, or next to the fan control. once it goes off, double tap the start/stop button and repeat. runs on a single aaa batter. the timer is great, however I tend to forget it quite a bit so my back up timer is my wife... usually saying "you forgot the timer button again didn't you"!

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-06-2017, 12:16 PM
I boiled on wood for many years and I found the best timing for firing and the easiest was a close on the wall. I fired every 10 minutes on the 10s. Made it simple and seemed to work good firing every 10 minutes than anything else I ever tried.

johnallin
03-06-2017, 01:43 PM
I boiled on wood for many years and I found the best timing for firing and the easiest was a close on the wall. I fired every 10 minutes on the 10s. Made it simple and seemed to work good firing every 10 minutes than anything else I ever tried.

Thanks Brandon. The clock idea sounds pretty fool proof. Would still like something that would make lots of noise if I get distracted though.

johnpma
03-06-2017, 02:43 PM
Big hanging clock or 3 sips of beer....both work for me :)

Ryan Mahar
03-06-2017, 03:34 PM
simple kitchen timer or egg timer. Nice loud beeping....on the old 2x6 we fired every 8 min, on the new 30x10 vortex we have to fire every 5'.....wait a minute longer and the fire is burned down so much you lose enough heat that your syrup pan temp does not stay consistent and that's the trick for good consistent long draw offs.....

Michael Greer
03-06-2017, 04:04 PM
If you're listening to pop radio, every two songs works well. With talk radio, you add wood every time you hear the word Trump and the shed will burn down. If you're a Public Radio listener, the fire will go out.

johnallin
03-06-2017, 04:34 PM
If you're listening to pop radio, every two songs works well. With talk radio, you add wood every time you hear the word Trump and the shed will burn down. If you're a Public Radio listener, the fire will go out.

Thanks, all good suggestions. Still looking for a big wall mounted timer with reset.

wnybassman
03-06-2017, 05:35 PM
I've been going by sound more lately. When it stops sounding like a jet engine, add wood.

tbear
03-06-2017, 07:53 PM
I use a wind up kitchen timer. Low tech and easy, as long as you remember to set it. Ted

bstewar
03-06-2017, 08:14 PM
If you're listening to pop radio, every two songs works well. With talk radio, you add wood every time you hear the word Trump and the shed will burn down. If you're a Public Radio listener, the fire will go out

Good one...I love it.

Wanabe1972
03-06-2017, 09:08 PM
I don't have a timer but use a temp controller in the stack. I kill the blower's AOF/AUF with switch and reload fire. When I close the door and turn the blower's back on it resets the system and when the stack goes under 800 it sounds the buzzer again. I find depending on what wood I'm using it keeps a better boil like this. I can go from 6 min to 20 between fireings but is not running off time rather temp of the system.

killingworthmaple
03-07-2017, 04:14 PM
Well I have used them all in the past stack temp, egg timer, Iphone but now I just use my ear when the boil starts to change intensity I fire it again, I guess Im gettin to lazy to keep hitting the timer again.

Ekrueger
03-07-2017, 06:35 PM
Here is the timer I use. It is easy to set to 9 minutes and reset.15924

Ghs57
03-07-2017, 07:32 PM
I don't have a timer but use a temp controller in the stack. I kill the blower's AOF/AUF with switch and reload fire. When I close the door and turn the blower's back on it resets the system and when the stack goes under 800 it sounds the buzzer again. I find depending on what wood I'm using it keeps a better boil like this. I can go from 6 min to 20 between fireings but is not running off time rather temp of the system.

What's your setup for this? i think temp is a better indicator than time in this process. What you are burning can vary the firing interval. But for me, timing is better than winging it. I get too distracted otherwise.

Wanabe1972
03-07-2017, 09:05 PM
Yes I burn softwood pallets and hardwood pallets. I get some large 3x5 hardwood chunks and larger firewood chunks that come off the wood processor. I tried the timer and it doesnt work that well for me. If I didn't have the controller I would go by sight and sound. Next year I'm going to add an auto dripper for defoamer that runs of the blower switch. This will allow a couple of drops of defoamer automatically during firing.

SeanD
03-08-2017, 05:59 AM
i bought a cheap and small digital timer that I mount right next to my firebox door, or next to the fan control. once it goes off, double tap the start/stop button and repeat. runs on a single aaa batter. the timer is great, however I tend to forget it quite a bit so my back up timer is my wife... usually saying "you forgot the timer button again didn't you"!

I'm curious how you mount the timer on the evaporator. I tried that once, but the evap. got so hot the magnets wouldn't stick anymore. It was my favorite placement while it lasted.

tcross
03-08-2017, 06:13 AM
I don't mount it to my evaporator. I mount it to a post that comes down about 6 feet behind my evaporator. I think it'd melt anything I attached it with on the evaporator.

Ghs57
03-08-2017, 07:08 AM
Yes I burn softwood pallets and hardwood pallets. I get some large 3x5 hardwood chunks and larger firewood chunks that come off the wood processor. I tried the timer and it doesnt work that well for me. If I didn't have the controller I would go by sight and sound. Next year I'm going to add an auto dripper for defoamer that runs of the blower switch. This will allow a couple of drops of defoamer automatically during firing.

What controller are you using and how do you have it set up? Any pictures?

johnallin
03-08-2017, 07:43 AM
Here is the timer I use. It is easy to set to 9 minutes and reset.15924

That's getting real close to what I'm looking for. Thanks Eric