PDA

View Full Version : Filter press lubrication

maineboiler
03-05-2017, 04:48 PM
Looking for some advise-
I have a 7" motorized filter press that I bought 2nd hand. It is getting stuck and is leaking syrup at the filters. I realized I have never lubricated it. There is an opening for lubrication at the housing of the wheel for the syrup intake. How should I lubricate it ? Food grade grease ? How much, How often ? I put 3 in 1 oil in the oil chamber at the electric motor.
Thanks--------

maple flats
03-05-2017, 05:31 PM
On the pump, if it's an Oberdorfer it should get 1 pump of food grade grease (available from maple dealers or bee keeper supply dealers). There should be 2 zerk fittings for the grease. Add 1 pump of grease after every 10-12 times you use it, using a clean dedicated grease gun. The electric motor 3 drops once a year.

maineboiler
03-06-2017, 11:27 AM
Thanks Dave, that is very helpful. I think I have found some food grade grease. Happy sugaring----

BAP
03-06-2017, 02:13 PM
Glad you found some grease. If your press is leaking a lot of syrup at the filters, then either the nuts holding the filter plates aren't tight enough or the filters are plugged.

maineboiler
03-07-2017, 07:40 PM
Thanks. I'll be using it hopefully next week if we get a decent run. I flushed it really well with water and greased it. Seems to be running fine. I'll make sure to screw down the plates. Filter presses can be tricky, but when they are running well there's nothing better