PDA

View Full Version : Final draw- how do you salvage the last syrup?

RileySugarbush
04-11-2007, 04:18 PM
Being new to a real evaporator, can someone give me a pointer on how to get the last gallon of syrup out of the pans? I was going to run again but my recent collections are all buddy. I've been drawing off, filtering and bottling directly from the syrup pan. For the last gasp, should I just pitch the stuff in the flue pan and finish the front pan on the kitchen stove?

What do you guys do?

MaplePancakeMan
04-11-2007, 04:42 PM
are you talking about when you run out of sap to keep pushin more through? When this happens i'll just drain the flue and put all of it in the syrup pan, plug the syrup pan up and fill the flue with water. This allows me to finish most of it on the evaporator, however once i get to 2 degrees over boiling i stop adding wood, then wait til its almost done burning draw off most of it, then pull the pan and drain the rest and finish inside. I know its a lot of work but its easier to get most of the water out in the evaporator.

Dave Puhl
04-11-2007, 06:07 PM
I put the garden hose in the sap inlet to to sap pan and turn it on some..you should be able to get your gradeint in the syrup pan and get most of it out ..then finish on the stove...