PDA

View Full Version : Will it hold?

maple flats
03-04-2017, 05:50 AM
Looking at the 15 day forecast this morning for Central NY, it looks good, after tomorrow. Tomorrow morning calls for -1 F then a high of 28. Then Monday the sap will flow at 47 F, followed by 2 nights no freeze. The best part then, if it holds anywhere close to the forecast, I will have 11 days in a row with overnight freeze and sap during the day. Hopefully that will bring my sugar % up. So far, even with a fair number of days with sap, we have had very few freeze thaw cycles. It seems we have 2-3-4 days too cold, followed by 3-4-5 days with no freeze. That pattern has kept repeating and I believe that pattern is part of my issue with having record low sugar in my sap.
We did also have a dry summer last year, but our area was not severe like many areas of NY were and both of my woods have good ground water at the surface. My trees never looked stressed.

Russell Lampron
03-04-2017, 06:32 AM
The forecast looks good here too Dave. The sap will begin to flow again Monday and if the 15 day forecast holds it's really going to bust loose Tuesday and run every day after that.

madmapler
03-04-2017, 06:42 AM
I was wondering about the drought this summer as well. My pond is influenced by the water table and it was extremely low by this fall but my sugar content seem a little better than normal this year taking into account the drop off due to the warm days, whereas they were lower last year while a lot of guys were getting high numbers. I attribute that to the extreme amount of sun maybe? We had very few rainy or overcast days. Obviously that theory doesn't really plug in to your situation. I'm interested in what this cold spell will do for us as well. I have a soft maple in my back yard that is swelling so it seems this weather is just what we need. Hopefully, it'll extend our season and raise the sugar content.

Cedar Eater
03-04-2017, 11:46 AM
We didn't have a drought here and the ground didn't freeze real solid because we got insulating snow before that happened and we didn't have many days of really cold weather. The forecast here is for two days in 40s followed by a string of days that will only reach the low to mid thirties with freezing nights. I'm not sure the days will be warm enough. Still, I'm glad that I already made 4 gallons of syrup on the early runs.

pdr
03-04-2017, 11:58 AM
What forecast are you using Dave? Intellicast only goes out 10.

maple flats
03-04-2017, 03:35 PM
The one I'm referring to is the AccuWeather App I have on my phone. If you look at the Accuweather forecast at the top of the Maple Trader page, it will give you the next month. That doesn't mean it's accurate, but they go out that far. On my phone app, it only goes out 15 days. All forecasts are subject to correction.

WESTMAPLES
03-04-2017, 03:45 PM
dave i look at accuweather also over any other source, they seem to stay pretty close to what actually happens , looking great in my area for about 20 days out nice freeze thaw cycles to come, but who really knows its new england

Russell Lampron
03-04-2017, 03:48 PM
I use the weather channel app on my phone. For my location the accuweather temps are usually higher than I actually get while the weather channel is usually within a degree or two of being right. As with any extended forecast they are pretty much accurate for 2 days and close for 5 days. Anything beyond that it is based on similar weather patterns from years prior..