PDA

View Full Version : Poly tote thread adapters

Diesel Pro
03-03-2017, 09:56 AM
I recently picked up a couple of poly totes. They have 2" plumbing on them. I have been researching thread adapters and see a lot with buttress threads. Mine appears to have 2" straight pipe thread. I do not have a female end to thread on, but I'm reasonably certain that is what it is. Looking to adapt and leave the original valve in place I'm wondering if a tapered pipe will seat on this with a decent seal or do I need a special adapter?

Alternatively I could possibly make a custom disc to use with the screw on ring as well, but that will take time that I may not have.

RIVERWINDS
03-03-2017, 10:16 AM
I use standard NPT pipe fittings on these without issues.

I recently picked up a couple of poly totes. They have 2" plumbing on them. I have been researching thread adapters and see a lot with buttress threads. Mine appears to have 2" straight pipe thread. I do not have a female end to thread on, but I'm reasonably certain that is what it is. Looking to adapt and leave the original valve in place I'm wondering if a tapered pipe will seat on this with a decent seal or do I need a special adapter?

Alternatively I could possibly make a custom disc to use with the screw on ring as well, but that will take time that I may not have.

SeanD
03-03-2017, 10:29 AM
I've had good luck with FPT fittings - except one. Some look NPT, but they are some funky thread that is only partnered with the dust cap that goes on the port. If the neck is tapered it may need a 2" cam lock fitting. Here's what you might need if the threads don't work.

This is what I use if the threads don't work:
http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/storage/bins-totes-containers/containers-ibc/2-female-npt-pipe-thread-x-1-part-a-camlock-adapter

This is what I use if they do:
http://www.jmesales.com/product/2-part-b-2-camlock-coupler-x-1-male-camlock-adapter,11438,8572.htm?gclid=Cj0KEQiAtqHEBRCNrdC6r Yq9_oYBEiQAejvRl4zgn_sq4x5JLAtWmsyeIx6c03oIl4Y9vvV HtJGBkbcaAlUO8P8HAQ

This video gives an overview of different tote fittings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV-KZbfCaYM

Sean

Diesel Pro
03-03-2017, 01:30 PM
Thanks

I ran the cap onto a maple NPT fitting that I had and the thread pitch matches. I'm guessing I'll need a big wad of thread tape to help seal it.

My plan is to use this tank at the bottom of the hill for my 3/16 setup. My hope is to run a Tee onto the stub. That way I can have a branch to my pump plus a branch to drain. Run the pump to empty the tank. Shut down and it drains back to tank level. Shut off tank valve and open end drain to empty the lines and pour back drainings into tank.

I use a lot of 3/4" cam lock stuff so I do plan to continue with that while keeping things set up for as near total drainage as possible.

wnybassman
03-03-2017, 03:27 PM
Shut down and it drains back to tank level.

That was my plan too, until I found out my Honda pump did not drain back once you shut it off like my electric pump did. I ended up having to put a valve in the pump out pipe very close to the pump. Once I am done pumping I close the valve, unhook the pump out pipe (Banjo fittings), then drain the line into a bucket to haul up to the truck. Fortunately I only get 4.5 gallons of sap back after I pump out, about 130-140 feet of 3/4" pipe.

BSD
03-03-2017, 03:35 PM
Most IBC totes have a 2" NPT thread or the 2" buttress. i found a 2" Buttress->NPT adapter on amazon that i'm using for one of my totes i got this year, didn't realize it was different than my others when i grabbed it.

maple flats
03-03-2017, 06:57 PM
There are 3-4different IBC tote threads, here's a link http://bascousa.com/container-components/ibc-parts/adapters/
I've had 2" cam loc, 2" NPT, 2" buttress, 1.5" cam loc, 1.5" NPT, so far. Within 1 brand of tank/valve they seem to remain all the same.

wnybassman
03-03-2017, 07:07 PM
I bought three totes last year, and have three different threads. How's that for proper planning? lol I thought they were all the same, until I started looking at them.