PDA

View Full Version : Using a Propane Stope Top to Boil

NorthernMaineLumberjack
03-02-2017, 09:13 PM
In 2015 I made a cement brick arch to boil on, but wasn't happy with the smokey taste the syrup had. Last year I used a 2 burner turkey fryer with catering pans and made about 2 3/4 gallons of syrup. The syrup came out fantastic, but i probably could of just bought 4 gallons off the shelf of the supermarket for what i paid in propane. (Not that i'm really doing this to save or make money) I had big plans to do something different this year, but they never materialized. I have a propane range that was given to me for my camp, but we never ended up using it. I also have a big 125 gallon propane tank that is about half full that i don't have any other use for. Would a range cooktop put out enough BTU's to put two catering pans on and possibly pre-heat in a pot in the oven? I have a storage shed that I could do all of this in this year that I didn't have last year.
OR
Would I be better off to put my 2 burner turkey fryer in my shed and hook it up to that big tank?
I will be shooting to produce about 4 gallons or so.

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

Helicopter Seeds
03-02-2017, 10:50 PM
Bulk propane is quite cheaper than the small tanks, and in your case if you are not using it, then no real loss. I have propane stove indoors, and don't think about the cost when cooking, where using the grill or the turkey fryer over a long boil, you do spend a lot. But also, the stove top BTU are very rarely the same as the turkey fryer. Chances are, you can go quicker if you hook it up. You could also tee the line and use both, get a couple more pots and steam off..

Cedar Eater
03-02-2017, 11:10 PM
Your turkey fryer would almost certainly require a different regulator than the one used by your house. You would need to get the right one and know that it's the right one.