PDA

View Full Version : Will a propane range stove top work???

NorthernMaineLumberjack
03-02-2017, 07:40 PM
In 2015 I made a cement brick arch to boil on, but wasn't happy with the smokey taste the syrup had. Last year I used a 2 burner turkey fryer with catering pans and made about 2 3/4 gallons of syrup. The syrup came out fantastic, but i probably could of just bought 4 gallons off the shelf of the supermarket for what i paid in propane. (Not that i'm really doing this to save or make money) I had big plans to do something different this year, but they never materialized. I have a propane range that was given to me for my camp, but we never ended up using it. I also have a big 125 gallon propane tank that is about half full that i don't have any other use for. Would a range cooktop put out enough BTU's to put two catering pans on and possibly pre-heat in a pot in the oven? I have a storage shed that I could do all of this in this year that I didn't have last year.
OR
Would I be better off to put my 2 burner turkey fryer in my shed and hook it up to that big tank?
I will be shooting to produce about 4 gallons or so.

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
Shawn

ecolbeck
03-03-2017, 05:27 AM
I would think that a turkey fryer would have away more BTUs than a kitchen range (especially if it's a cheap one). The range might have the advantage of better heat control if you felt you needed it.

Russell Lampron
03-03-2017, 05:36 AM
The turkey fryer will put out more btu's but if you can put 2 pans on the range and only 1 on the fryer you may make more syrup faster on the range.