PDA

View Full Version : Clear sap and boiling

MaplePancakeMan
04-10-2007, 07:47 PM
Collected 140 from the farm yesterday, 40-50 here so i got somewhere between 200 and 210 gallons, its all pretty clear and tested 2.2% sugar. that cold snap sure kicked the trees and got them up again. I haven't any clue as to what grade it will be but right now since i'm boiling (started at 5:45 have about 110 gallons left) its awfully light colored compared to last time i boiled which was 2 weeks ago basically. tastes like table grade... which is nice but hopefully i'll get a cruddy boil. i really want my maple beer. I could have done it when i had 350 gallons of crappy sap, but i dumped it... shame on me.

danno
04-10-2007, 09:23 PM
MPM -

Let me know how you make out. My syrup was much lighter today and sap was clear and gushing and syrup tasted ok while boiling, but final product was buddy.

MaplePancakeMan
04-10-2007, 09:36 PM
Danno, will do, right now it tastes fine, but as we all know its only about the finished product. I'd love more table grade, but buddy syrup gives me Maple Beer, its a win win situation now that i called my friend and said he'd take every drop of bad syrup i can make. Its upsetting though that i dumped so much that i could have made about 8 gallons of bud syrup oh well i live an learn