PDA

View Full Version : Pump thoughts

Gratefulmaple
03-01-2017, 09:41 PM
Was at harbor freight this evening. I ran across their 12v pump. I think it might work with this manifold I rigged up with it. Says it's not suppose to run dry.it was only 30 bucks so thought it was worth a shot. Was going to attach it to my 3/16 tubbing system or should I stick to a Shurflow? What's your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

mellondome
03-01-2017, 10:23 PM
Is that a diaphram pump?

Cedar Eater
03-01-2017, 10:31 PM
I am planning to experiment with some cheapo diaphragm pumps. One I got on ebay for $21. It says that it is self priming and can be run dry. I got another from Amazon for $26. These have 3/8" tubing fittings instead of the 1/2" MNPT on the Shurflos.

Gratefulmaple
03-02-2017, 03:01 AM
No why I wondered if it would work or not.

Cedar Eater
03-02-2017, 08:42 AM
No why I wondered if it would work or not.

If it's not a diaphragm pump it might be hard to keep it primed and it might not suck very well. It might be better as a transfer pump.

Cedar Eater
03-02-2017, 08:57 AM
This is one of the pumps I will be testing. It's closer to the Shurflo 2008, but less than half the price.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017NVG1I8/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the other pump that I will test. It looks like it has the same pump assembly but a different motor.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121954717643

Ivyacres
03-02-2017, 09:15 AM
Please let us know what happens with your test. Those are some good prices if they work decent. Good luck and lots of sap.

Gratefulmaple
03-02-2017, 09:54 AM
If it's not a diaphragm pump it might be hard to keep it primed and it might not suck very well. It might be better as a transfer pump. it's why I was going to recirculate it through the pump.

Biz
03-02-2017, 10:44 AM
I have been using the pump from Harbor Freight for a couple of years, it gets a lot of use. Has a stainless housing. I think they have changed it slightly. It is not a diaphragm type so not good for vacuum, and does not self prime. I use it for sap transfer from collection tank. If the pump is at the same level as the tank outlet or lower, it works fine. Pumps faster than a Shurflo once you get it going.

Interested in seeing how well the cheap diaphragm pump hold up!

Dave

maple flats
03-02-2017, 10:47 AM
If it can't run dry it will not work for sap. It likely has a rubber impeller that needs the water to lubricate it or you get extreme wear or maybe it would not even turn without the water lube.

Cedar Eater
03-02-2017, 11:04 AM
it's why I was going to recirculate it through the pump.

Recirculating will keep it wet, but it won't boost the suction like a diaphragm pump does.

Cedar Eater
03-02-2017, 11:08 AM
Please let us know what happens with your test.

That's the plan. I also want to get a cheap strainer, cheap temperature controller, cheap dump valve, and cheap vacuum guage. Would be nice to build a poorer man's poor man's vacuum system that works for a few trees here and there. Sometimes the ebay pumps can be bought for as low as $12.

Ivyacres
03-02-2017, 11:22 AM
I like the way you think! Try to learn and do it yourself and keep it within a reasonable price. I love this site when people try things and share out what worked and why or why not. Good Luck!

Gratefulmaple
03-07-2017, 11:43 AM
That's the plan. I also want to get a cheap strainer, cheap temperature controller, cheap dump valve, and cheap vacuum guage. Would be nice to build a poorer man's poor man's vacuum system that works for a few trees here and there. Sometimes the ebay pumps can be bought for as low as $12.

I found the pump you posted and going to try it on some 5/16 I have about 20 taps or so. I also got my hands on a 4048 shurflo and put that on about 80 taps or so. So if I put a circulating piece in it should up vacuum right. Am I understanding this correctly?thanks all for the reply.