PDA

View Full Version : Stainless thread sealer

Bricklayer
03-01-2017, 09:16 PM
I'm having a real hard time getting the threads to seal on my stainless fittings for my auto draw off. It's all 1" stainless. I've tried teflon and lots of it. Tried the pink teflon, tried pipe dope. Is there anlyrhing else.

danielschauder
03-01-2017, 09:20 PM
Loctite 545 has sealed everything I've ever needed to. I've never used it on any of my sugaring equipment though. Is there a bad thread?

Bricklayer
03-02-2017, 04:00 AM
Threads seem ok. It just seems that they don't tighten up enough. Never had this before with stainless fittings. Usually with a npt thread it tightens right up before it bottoms out. These fittings will thread all the way in.

maple flats
03-02-2017, 05:47 AM
Being a retired plumber, I sometimes had a joint that leaked. If the SS goes on to the end of the threads I sometimes used both Teflon tape (the heavy gauge) and gave it an extra wrap or 2, then I'd brush on some teflon pipe dope too, but just a little. That combination usually works.

madmapler
03-02-2017, 06:28 AM
I went to one of Glen Goodrich's seminars a few years back and he said the only way to be sure was to use Teflon and dope together. Webbs sells a blue Teflon that's designed for stainless.

Bricklayer
03-02-2017, 01:16 PM
A plumber at work gave me a roll of pink teflon tape. I asked him if he had grey stuff for stainless and he looked at me like I had three heads. Told me pink was basically the same.?
Used the pink tape. And lots of it. Maybe 8 times around thread and put some thread dope on it also. So far it's holding boiling water. Hopefully it works. I figured I'd test it with boiling water since that's basically what it's going to be doing anyways.
If this fails I'm going to have to find some kind of sealant that will work like locktite or silicone that is ok to use at high temps and ok for food contact. Probley just be cheaper to buy new fittings.

SyrupHog
03-03-2017, 02:43 PM
I picked up some of the grey stainless steel tape at the CDL in Lanark. I have yet to do my first boil, so I can't speak to it's effectiveness, but if you're looking for it they carry it. I would consider silicone too, but not sure where you can get food grade silicone that would take the temps in an evaporator.?

regor0
03-03-2017, 03:15 PM
http://www.buyfittingsonline.com/mill-rose-stainless-steel-thread-tape.aspx

BAP
03-03-2017, 03:57 PM
http://www.buyfittingsonline.com/mill-rose-stainless-steel-thread-tape.aspx
It says "Not To Be Used for Food Service" in the heading

BreezyHill
03-03-2017, 06:09 PM
Tephlon tape was made in my town for a long time and now PFOA is a huge issue. If using tape make sure it is new stock and PFOA free. There is another set of letters that is an issue in a town just to our south as well.

I have found Blue Block pipe dope is great for our industry on pretty much anything. Food grade product as well. Doesn't harden like some dopes do. Was at Home depot last I knew.

regor0
03-03-2017, 07:18 PM
It says "Not To Be Used for Food Service" in the heading
Where did you see that? I've searched the website I gave and the company's website and never found not for food service. I have never used it but a reputable pan builder told me it was the best. I use blue monster by the same company. Just curious.

regor0
03-03-2017, 07:26 PM
Where did you see that? I've searched the website I gave and the company's website and never found not for food service. I have never used it but a reputable pan builder told me it was the best. I use blue monster by the same company. Just curious.
Here is some fda approved thread tape. Wow, price of syrup is going up.

https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/0453928

Bricklayer
03-03-2017, 07:35 PM
Stuff I used said it's PTFE. No mention of PFOA.
I have to go to CDL Monkland this weekend to get some supplies so I'll see if they have the stainless tape in case my joints leak again
I'm sure once I get them hot and syrup hit them they will seal up with sugar and nitre. I had a leaky union fitting on my evaporator last year and it leaked for about an hour then Sealed itself up for the rest of the season.

BAP
03-03-2017, 07:41 PM
If you click on the link you posted it says it in the first part of the description .