PDA

View Full Version : Jars didn't seal!! Now what??

Boycedemery
03-01-2017, 07:22 PM
Hey everyone,
So today I got done cooking and I didn't have everything fully ready and when I poured the syrup into the jars it wasn't all that hot. So long story short the jars didn't seal and now I'm sitting with unsealed jars. Can I re-heat the syrup to a boil and then re can?? That are your thoughts? Thanks in advance!

BSD
03-01-2017, 07:28 PM
bring to 180 degrees and try again

BAP
03-01-2017, 07:28 PM
Re heat your syrup to 180-185 degrees. Don't go over 190 or more nitre will form. Warm the jars up before filling to help with sealing.

BSD
03-01-2017, 07:51 PM
Re heat your syrup to 180-185 degrees. Don't go over 190 or more nitre will form. Warm the jars up before filling to help with sealing.you could also flip jars on their lids for a few minutes to get hot syrup to warm the lids up to temperature too

danielschauder
03-01-2017, 08:39 PM
You need to pour the syrup into whatever you use to heat your syrup. Bring it back up to 180-190 degrees and then put it in your jars being sure that the syrup stays at that temp. Put on the lids and set them on their side for 30 seconds. This will seal your lids as well as kill any bacteria that may be in the neck of the jar. If you follow that process, your jars will seal and you should not have any mold form on the top of the syrup. As mentioned in a previous post, if you reheat it above 195 degrees, you will want to filter it again.

Run Forest Run!
03-01-2017, 08:43 PM
I'm not sure how many bottles you have, but another option is to store those ones in the freezer. They'll keep for years that way. Then you can concentrate on perfecting your bottling skills on the next batches.