PDA

View Full Version : Freshly tapped tree vs 2 week old tapped tree

Hkb82
03-01-2017, 06:35 PM
Just wondering if a freshly tapped tree will drip more at fist then a previously tapped one. I noticed today that after collecting my pails b4 this cold snap that the 40 pails I had already tapped had a total of 36L. I put in 12 new buckets yesterday and today they had 45L in them. All pails were emptied at the same time. I get some trees are different and will very on the yield but those numbers seem to say to me new taps have a better drip. The bush is all the same looking some large sugars and some upcomets for my kids. Thanks guys

c0ps
03-01-2017, 08:21 PM
There is no logic to any of this. My old taps are running better than the 7 I just tapped. Trees are all in the same vally

Hkb82
03-02-2017, 06:53 AM
Wow 122 views and only one person commented. Thanks c0ps for adding something. I feel there is lots of good info on this site but most people are readers I guess and don't like to comment. Beats me. Don't be afraid Hkb82 won't bite

Sugarmaker
03-02-2017, 07:18 AM
Funny on the 122 views. I had a similar comment on another forum about construction equipment. I posted something and i seen there was 200 views. I made a comment similar to what you did and one person came back with. You probably raelly dont want 200 replies! When I thought about it I think he was right. consider the views as a compliment that someone has taken the time to view and read your comments.
So the trees! Welcome to maple. Tress have a tendency to do about what ever they want. The exact revers of what you would expect sometimes happens in the wood lot. I have seen them run when you think they should not have and when you think they should have run, they don't! Have fun!
I need to go check to see if they ran last night! It went from 60 to 25 over night with serious winds!
Regards,
Chris

Ed R
03-02-2017, 07:57 AM
I always found that the trees ran best after they are first tapped. I only have 100 taps so I wait for a perfect SAP day to tap,I spread buckets and covers the night before , and tap in the morning while still frozen . Usually sap is running when I tap the last couple. That's just my tapping ritual. When tapping at the family farm we have a lot more taps so we just get it done when we have the help.

Ivyacres
03-02-2017, 08:38 AM
Thanks for thread. I have 20 or so more I could tap but sort of thought I'm late and wait until next year. Now I'm thinking what the heck, with this cold blast, next run might make it worth while. My 5/16 didn't run well compared to my new 3/16 and it might be a short season here. On your other point. I read a lot but don't have much to offer as I'm new. I do very much appreciate reading and learning.

Hannah
03-02-2017, 01:37 PM
Thanks for thread. I have 20 or so more I could tap but sort of thought I'm late and wait until next year. Now I'm thinking what the heck, with this cold blast, next run might make it worth while. My 5/16 didn't run well compared to my new 3/16 and it might be a short season here. On your other point. I read a lot but don't have much to offer as I'm new. I do very much appreciate reading and learning.

I am predicting it is going to be a long season. Spring seems to be starting sooner and lasting longer each year. But mother nature will dictate as always

Hkb82
03-02-2017, 02:28 PM

I think even first timers can bring something to the table even if it's your first year. Also if you got 20 more I would tap them That's just me. Even if they only fill the buckets a couple times still more then you had without them. Just my 2 cents.

Run Forest Run!
03-02-2017, 02:33 PM
Welcome Hkb82. I wasn't sure where you were located, so I looked it up. That's a beautiful area of our province. Enjoy your first year sugaring!

berkshires
03-02-2017, 03:12 PM
Yes, trees on buckets dry up over time.

markcasper
03-02-2017, 03:14 PM
A fresh taphole that did not go through the heat of 1-2 weeks ago will likely run better the whole season. You only have about 2 weeks from the time you tap and you will start seeing random tapholes just quit running. If you can use a new spout of some sort, that helps tremendously, even on open bucket taps.

flyzone13
03-02-2017, 09:58 PM
A fresh taphole that did not go through the heat of 1-2 weeks ago will likely run better the whole season. You only have about 2 weeks from the time you tap and you will start seeing random tapholes just quit running. If you can use a new spout of some sort, that helps tremendously, even on open bucket taps.

I tapped my tress 2 weeks ago, I'd say 80% of those trees will support multiple taps. I only put a single tap into those trees knowing that it was really early but I wanted in on the early run. With that said, can I tap an additional hole on the trees that can support it? I do believe I can in my opinion but would like to hear others opinions.

Hkb82
03-03-2017, 06:38 AM
I tapped my tress 2 weeks ago, I'd say 80% of those trees will support multiple taps. I only put a single tap into those trees knowing that it was really early but I wanted in on the early run. With that said, can I tap an additional hole on the trees that can support it? I do believe I can in my opinion but would like to hear others opinions.

This is also what I was thinking. Most of the trees I tapped I only put a single tap into although they could have had two. This is my first year tapping the trees so I figured I would spread out the taps and see what trees produced the best. I was thinking of just taping a second tap into the the trees that can handle two taps. Good idea or bad???

harrison6jd
03-03-2017, 06:45 AM
i agree with the others. a new taphole will run more initially than an earlier tap. even if conditions are not favorable for a run, it will run when first drilled. i dont have scientific proof but just time in the woods. once you taste that first bit of your own syrup that you produced, you will be hooked. its a great time. enjoy.

on a side note, this forum is an encyclopedia of information. scientific and real world experience. the people who visit these forums are supportive and positive. no bologna!

old fashioned
03-03-2017, 07:17 AM
Think of your tap hole as a wound in the tree. As soon as you tap the tree starts to heal. As it heals it bleeds less. Depending on the weather the healing process takes 2-4 weeks. I'm in Ohio and this year we had a week of 60 degree weather a week after I tapped. When it got cold again - sap ran - taps that were giving a full bucket had maybe an inch in them. A new tap gave a full bucket. Made for a short season.

30+ years with a 30 in by 7 ft flat pan and a 2 ft by 3 ft finishing pan. I can boil 25+ gal an hour.

Hkb82
03-03-2017, 08:19 AM
Think of your tap hole as a wound in the tree. As soon as you tap the tree starts to heal. As it heals it bleeds less. Depending on the weather the healing process takes 2-4 weeks. I'm in Ohio and this year we had a week of 60 degree weather a week after I tapped. When it got cold again - sap ran - taps that were giving a full bucket had maybe an inch in them. A new tap gave a full bucket. Made for a short season.

30+ years with a 30 in by 7 ft flat pan and a 2 ft by 3 ft finishing pan. I can boil 25+ gal an hour.

Yup that's kinda what I thought that the tree was healing hence the lack of sap. I think I could yeald the best from my trees by tapping one tap per tree then go back around 2-3 weeks later and add the second.