PDA

View Full Version : Syrup in middle divider of syrup pan HELP

deckers007
03-01-2017, 09:56 AM
This is my first year on a Raised flue pan and i am thinking i am getting syrup forming in the middle section of my syrup pan.

I am running almost 2 inchs deep, test with a hydrometer when temp is close and draw off until temperature drops. But what i find is that about 3 - 4 minutes after my draw of my temperature spikes and faster that i can draw of and getting to thick of syrup drawing of, having me to mix some thinner syrup in until my finished product has the correct density.

So what i feel is happening is it is getting concentrated in the middle section or at the end of the last section and moving towards the thermometer after my draw off.

Does this make sense to anyone, and is there a way to establish a better gradient?

thanks

motowbrowne
03-01-2017, 10:25 AM
Yep, makes sense. Happened to me all the time on my 2x10. Usually only for the first draw of the day. What you need to do is draw off your first batch early. Since you know you have denser syrup in the middle draw off when it's still light and draw a big batch off. Draw off until most of the syrup from the middle section is at your exit valve. The other thing you could try is closing the float into the syrup pan, drawing off the light stuff and pour it into the middle. Basically you're just rearranging the sweet in the pan and putting it in the right place. Then reopen the valve from the syrup pan.

Also, some basic tips since this is your first year on a real cooker: if you have two doors, only open one at a time. No matter what, keep the doors open for the absolute minimum amount of time. Fire very often, every five minutes or less, but with a small amount of wood. This will keep your fire consistent and help maintain the gradient.

Good luck, hope that helps.

acafro
03-01-2017, 11:45 AM
Are you using defoamer? If so where and how much are you adding and how often?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

acafro
03-01-2017, 11:51 AM
Defoamer will drawn sugar towards where you put it. So if you are, it should never be put in the middle flues of the pans.

You could use a 2-3 drops of defoamer ever 6-8 minutes to help move your concentration gradient towards your draw off by adding those drops right at your draw off. And maybe add 2 drops at your sap inlet at the same rate

BAP
03-01-2017, 04:37 PM
You shouldn't have to use defoamer at your draw off. Try lowering your sap depth in the syrup pan down to 1-1/4 to 1-1/2" and it should help keep the gradient moving more consistent. To help get it going when you start up, draw a little off and dump it back in a little ways back to encourage the syrup to move towards the draw off. Once you get the flow going you should be all set.

Paul VT
03-01-2017, 09:03 PM
Defoamer will drawn sugar towards where you put it. So if you are, it should never be put in the middle flues of the pans.

I have never heard this. Just curious to where you read or heard of this?

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-03-2017, 09:22 AM
Make sure evaporator is level if it is not it can contribute to this.

acafro
03-03-2017, 07:50 PM

I have never heard this. Just curious to where you read or heard of this?
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.cceoneida.com/assets/Agriculture-Files/Maple/Using-Defoamer.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwiY6qHy3bvSAhVU7GMKHUSkDyQQFggqMAA&usg=AFQjCNHDAzhV9u0TcZmvf7tDKb6rJJOvXg&sig2=ipy7juVPcqMH69kiZERu8Q

maple flats
03-04-2017, 07:09 AM
I get that when I reverse the flow during a boil. Just watch the bubbles in the sections, you will with time get to see when it is happening. When I see it I just draw a little that is not quite syrup yet to get it moving. Sometimes I may need to do that 3 or 4 times before it gets right over a 30-45 minute time span. Then it runs right, until I need to reverse flow again. I reverse every 2-3 hrs if sugarsand gets to be an issue. If it is not an issue, I only reverse flow on the next boil. Early season generally does not need it, mid-late season some years does.

Dave Puhl
03-04-2017, 07:52 PM
When I start up cold from a sweet pan you need to help the gradient along some ..just draw a shot of and dump it in the intake side ..I do this three or four times till the gradient is in place..I have made syrup in the middle divider not paying close attention to it

DaveB
03-04-2017, 08:10 PM
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.cceoneida.com/assets/Agriculture-Files/Maple/Using-Defoamer.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwiY6qHy3bvSAhVU7GMKHUSkDyQQFggqMAA&usg=AFQjCNHDAzhV9u0TcZmvf7tDKb6rJJOvXg&sig2=ipy7juVPcqMH69kiZERu8Q

I don't think that is saying what you think it says. It does not say that it will draw sugar towards it nor does it say anything about the middle flues. It clearly talks about not putting it in the middle compartments of the syrup pan, not the flue pan. It also says to avoid using it in the syrup pan and if foaming is an issue to increase the number of drops in the flue pan but that it will have 15-20 minutes to see the results in the syrup pan.

abbott
03-05-2017, 03:11 PM
I get that when I reverse the flow during a boil. Just watch the bubbles in the sections, you will with time get to see when it is happening. When I see it I just draw a little that is not quite syrup yet to get it moving. Sometimes I may need to do that 3 or 4 times before it gets right over a 30-45 minute time span. Then it runs right, until I need to reverse flow again. I reverse every 2-3 hrs if sugarsand gets to be an issue. If it is not an issue, I only reverse flow on the next boil. Early season generally does not need it, mid-late season some years does.

How to you know when sugar sand is becoming an issue? I have a 40" wide evaporator with two crossflow front pans. Early in the season, no scale buildup on the bottom of the pan. Then a week or two in, I develop a scale every boil - the longer the boil the worse it is. Often at the end of the day when I drain the pan some of the scale has scorched on bottom and is flaking off.

As for the defoamer... I think the article referenced has some good points, but also seems to contradict itself and is a bit confusing. Perhaps translated from French? I am sure that defoaming habits affect draw-off results and will definitely think more about where I put the oil. Seems like late in the season (when more defoamer is needed) is when I get the largest draw-offs with the biggest spike in the middle. I typically defoam back pan as needed and defoam at the far end of my last syrup channel, figuring why put defoamer where its about to be drawn off. I do usually let that last channel get foamed up pretty good before I defoam.