PDA

View Full Version : syrup question

Barkpeeler
02-27-2017, 08:27 PM
Hi I'm new to this, first time, my question is I have what looks like a blob on the bottom of syrup when bottled, it doesn't look like sugar sand, laying flat on the bottom but more of a blob, I've looked and looked and can't find any answers to find out what it is, any ideas? Thanks appreciate any help!

Rock Cut Maple
02-27-2017, 08:57 PM
Sounds like an accumulation of sugar sand. It will pool up especially when cooled down sometimes. Post a pic. I am sure you will get quick accurate answers then most likely. What does it do when you touch it with a spatula or something?

Run Forest Run!
02-27-2017, 08:59 PM
Hi Barkpeeler, and welcome!

Sometimes the niter is very light and almost like a cloud floating in the syrup. It eventually settles on the bottom and looks 'fluffier' than what you might expect. Does that sound like what you are seeing?

Barkpeeler
02-27-2017, 09:25 PM
I'll try and post a pic, a blob is more what it looks like, like a lava lamp, thanks for the answers

SSS2017
02-28-2017, 07:33 AM
I'll try and post a pic, a blob is more what it looks like, like a lava lamp, thanks for the answers

Definitely sugar sand(niter). I'm a rookie at this but I know exactly what you're talking about. Until I got my steam pan for finishing I had the same issue no matter how good I filtered. Once I got my steam pan and was able to regulate the temp to 185 while bottling I have had no more niter blob issues.

Barkpeeler
02-28-2017, 04:51 PM
I do believe everyone is right, its been a couple of days and its mostly settled down, a couple still have a little fluff but looks like its a settling down, we're just rookies at this so all the help is appreciated! Thanks again

Galena
02-28-2017, 04:53 PM
Hehe I often get fluffy nitre clouds that become nitre mountains once they settle. Just be careful pouring off the syrup so you get as little nitre as possible in, and if bottling your syrup, go no higher than 190...or you'll get more nitre forming. Good luck!!