PDA

View Full Version : Bulk Prices.

LittleGuy
04-09-2007, 09:24 AM
Just got off the tele with a fella who buys for Delta Food in Brockville.These are the prices for the standards set in Quebec, Whatever that means.

AA & A $2.15/lb
B $2.12/lb
C $1.90/lb
D $1.80/lb

Only buying in 32+ gallon drums.

****, Never be able to get enough to fill a drum.:(

Fred Henderson
04-09-2007, 09:27 AM
Well I never knew the was a grade D.

325abn
04-09-2007, 09:38 AM
How many pounds in a gallion?

LittleGuy
04-09-2007, 10:09 AM
I think it goes like this.

U.S. Gallon is about 11/lb
Can. Gallon is about 13.5/lb

D must be road tar.lol

LittleGuy
04-09-2007, 11:56 AM
The best I could figure these must be the grades.

AA #1 Fancy
A #1 Light
B #1 Med
C #2 Amber
D Commercial

ennismaple
04-09-2007, 02:30 PM
Thanks LittleGuy. We always take a few drums of our Amber syrup to Delta every year. We have a few drums that are only 25 gallons and they've never given us a hard time.

I'm sure you're bang on with the grades - except we don't have a Fancy designation in Ontario, it's Extra Light. There's a really good table in the new Maple Syrup Producer's Manual that shows the grade designations for each province and state side-by-side.

If you're having a hard time selling your darker syrup try making some of it into granulated sugar. I made a 4L jug of last year's medium syrup into 8+ lbs of granulated sugar on the weekend and it turned out great! It looks and feels like brown sugar but tastes and smells like maple!

LittleGuy
04-09-2007, 03:00 PM
Ennismaple

I know there is no Fancy in Ontario, I put that there for our brothern south of the border.:)

I'm sure the buyers will take lessthan 32Gal barrels. I was just quoting what the fella told me on the Phone. I did use some dark to make some sugar, turmed out perfect. I only have 10 gallons made so far, so for me to do a barrel of Commercial is unreasonable. I'd be happy with 15 gallons this year.

Now just to sell some of it. If I could sell half I figure I could break even for fuel cost. Sell it all and I figure it would pay for fuel, and the cost of making my evaporator. This is my first year selling so I have my work cut out for me.

I was thinking about going to the perth festival, But I don't think I have enough to set up a good table. Anyone have any good ideas for a beginner, to make some sales?

cheesegenie
04-09-2007, 04:12 PM
Has the sap ran anywhere in Ontario in last nine days? Not here.Is there
still hope?

New Hope Mapleman
04-09-2007, 05:37 PM
Just curious and maybe someone knows the exchange rate?
Thanks

Dave Y
04-09-2007, 05:48 PM
Don't be in a big hurry to sell your syrup. Unless you need the money. I got a sneaking feeling that it could go up here in a bout a month.That is when they will find out they had a short harvest.

LittleGuy
04-09-2007, 06:28 PM
cheesegenie: I got a little on Sat. and again today. Not alot about 50 gallons both days.

New Hope: I think the exchange is around 13-15%.

Dave Y: I'm not worried about it myself, as I won't make enough for bulk anyway. I was Posting Bulk for the fella's that do. Maybe next year when I get a bigger evaporator.

ennismaple
04-09-2007, 09:13 PM
Cheesegenie: We made 100 gallons of syrup last week. Started at medium, went to amber and then started to come back when we boiled the remains of Thursday's run on Friday. We hope this week brings twice that or more!

LittleGuy: In past years your space at the Festival of the Maples in Perth costs about $100 for the day. Unfortunately that is cost prohibitive for a hobby producer like yourself. The crowds (and therefore your sales) are very dependant on weather since all the booths are set up on the main street. Two years ago it rained all day and we were barely able to buy dinner with the proceeds! Last year was sunny and warm and as a result we sold over 3 times what we did the year before.

I find the best way to get more customers is to tell eveybody you know that you make maple syrup. You will be amazed at how many sales that generates. Even though we are a fairly large operation we sell most of our syrup to repeat customers through face to face contact.

Good luck with the rest of your season.

H. Walker
04-09-2007, 09:44 PM
Just a note to Delta Foods prices. I was told that all syrup has to be in a barrel. They take a sample for a lead test from each barrel @$45 each. They don't pay until the lead test comes back (aprox. 45 days).

LittleGuy
04-09-2007, 10:17 PM
Walker: They told me it had to be in S.S. barrels. They also told me about the lead test, but never said you had to wait to be paid.

I'll just do what Ennis suggested, Make sugar. Don't know what the price is for sugar, but it's gotta be more than bulk prices. Besides, for me it's not worth saving my commercial+ for bulk.

LittleGuy
04-09-2007, 10:23 PM
11pm here and the trees are still dripping.:)

ennismaple
04-20-2007, 12:11 PM
My father took 5 drums to Delta yesterday. They do a lead test on one out of every 6 drums and you get your money once it comes back within allowable limits.