PDA

View Full Version : How much oil is normal

chuck
02-27-2017, 07:10 AM
I have an OSM-20 vacuum pump, brand new this season. I have never operated one before. My question is how much oil should I be going through? Not including the initial fill, I have put about 1 1/2-2 gal in it in about 8 days of operation. There were2 days last week that it did run all day and night but other than that it isn't running more than 6-8 hr a day so far this season. I am seeing some oil mist coming out of the exhaust vent. Any thoughts from experienced vacuum guys is appreciated.

maple flats
02-27-2017, 06:50 PM
Do you have an oil reclaimer on the pump? If not, you need one. What is an OSM 20 vacuum pump? I'm not familiar with that one.

wiam
02-27-2017, 06:53 PM
What brand? What type pump? I just got a Busch rotary vane and was told if vacuum was under 20" it would use a lot of oil.

chuck
03-01-2017, 06:17 AM
its an Atlantic Fluid. William, you are probably right. Last week I had issues in the woods and a leak at the bottom of my releaser so only got 19" most of the week. Day job kept me from addressing it until the weekend. Got the woods buttoned up(still have the releaser leak)and am holding 24" the past 3 days and noticed a difference in oil usage.

Dave; forgive my ignorance but what is an oil reclaimer?

jetdoc
03-01-2017, 06:50 AM
The gray one is one type and the blue one is one type also of oil reclaimers. Some people make their own. We use the the blue one in the pic. 1580615805