PDA

View Full Version : Syrup Prices/retail/wholesale?

danno
04-08-2007, 09:40 PM
I struggle with this every year - trying to get the price ratios between the smaller and larger bottles right.

Last year I think my retail prices were:

8 oz glass - $5
12 oz glass - $8
Quart in plastic - $12

They may have been 4, 6 and 12, can't remember.

I'd like to increase my quarts - what does everybody else retail for?

Also, what are the NY regs for selling retail - grade, name, address?

Anybody know who buys wholesale in central new york?

tuckermtn
04-08-2007, 10:37 PM
We've been selling our quarts for $14 and pints for $8- both in plastic Cruchon jugs.

I think the NH average is 13.25 for a quart

jdj
04-08-2007, 11:52 PM
I sure wish I could get 14 dollars a quart here in northern ny. We sell our quarts for 8.50, 16 half gal, and 30 gal. and I'd say that is close to average here. Yet we get some people that complain about the prices. People seem to syrup producers are getting rich quick! Some people don't seem to understand the work involved or the price of syrup equipment.

maple flats
04-09-2007, 07:23 AM
Here in central NY I get $4.50/1/2 pt, $7/pt, $13/qt, $22/1/2gal and $38/gal, and glass is similar price for syrup plus cost of the glass. I only pack gal on request. I can't remember the last time anyone said the price was too high if ever. They have however said things like "It has gone up, I used to buy it for ___" at which I say "How much was gas back then?" They then buy it without any trying to talk me down.

Larry
04-09-2007, 08:12 AM
Here's a good poem which outlines just a few of the steps involved in making a gallon of maple syrup. I have copies in my sugarhouse and when folks grumble about the cost they get the poem for free. It generally works.

Larry

THIS IS WHAT IT TAKES TO MAKE ONE GALLON OF
MAPLE SYRUP

It takes four maple trees, at least 40 years old, growing in the mountain “sugarbush” to yield enough sap in six weeks to produce one gallon of maple syrup.

It takes a “gathering crew” to climb the mountains daily during March and April to collect the dripping sap and haul it down to the “sugarhouse.”

It takes forty gallons of sap, boiled down in the “evaporator” to concentrate the sweet sap-water into one gallon of syrup.

It takes a four foot log, sawed, split, dried and burned in the raging fire in the “arch” under the evaporator for each gallon of syrup produced.

It takes the whole sugarmaker’s family to continually fire the arch, operate the evaporator and sterilize, filter, grade and pack each gallon of syrup.

SO - if you had to climb the mountain, tap the trees, haul the sap, cut the wood, stoke the fires and pack the syrup, how much would you ask for a gallon of Pure Maple Syrup?

mountainvan
04-09-2007, 08:37 AM
For the regulations go to the nys ag and markets site and you'll find it there. In the Carskills/ central ny, T. Kaufman buys bulk and so do the Hills.

325abn
04-09-2007, 08:53 AM
$5.50/.5 pint, $9.00 / pint packed in mason jars, with a nice label and a piece of cloth tied on top with jute.

I dont sell any thing packed larger.

Dave Y
04-09-2007, 09:08 AM
I have said It before and I will continue to repeat it. If you are not getting at least $42.00 a gallon for for syrup you are not charging enough. $8pt $12qt $22half $42gal. Sugarmakers need to keep prices uniform across the maple producing regions. And I dont Mean on the low end either. It takes hard work and a sizable investment to produce a quality product! Don't Be afraid to charge what your product is worth! I saw 12oz of dark amber at wally world yesterday in Cumberland Md. It was Packed by a Large producer. It was darker thank any gradeB I have ever packed and they where asking 4.32 for it.

markcasper
04-09-2007, 09:59 AM
Dave, they are selling it as dark amber though. Wally worls has the same syrup at every store.

Dave Y
04-09-2007, 11:04 AM
Mark ,
It was marked dark amber. It is the same producer that supplies Cracker Barrel resteruants.

tapper
04-09-2007, 11:17 AM
I go along with Dave Y all the way. My prices are slightly higher than his. If people want the syrup they wont argue about the price unless they know they can beat you down.
Dave,
I was at a large producer over the weekend. They are the same on their gallon price but their smaller containers are higher than yours.

Russell Lampron
04-09-2007, 11:20 AM
If they are selling syrup that is darker than the dark amber color spec and calling it dark amber they are breaking the law and need to be turned in to the proper authorities.

Russ

tapper
04-09-2007, 11:44 AM
I think a lot of the huge chain stores do this and get away with it because the people buying from them have no idea about the different grades of syrup or dont care. Also the brokers for the huge chains beat the producer down so bad on price that the producer most certainly wont give up his top quality syrup to them.

tuckermtn
04-09-2007, 12:11 PM
I was at LL Bean in Freeport last summer and while waiting for my wife and girls in the rest room I took a look at their Maine Maple Syrup. It was on a nice display under a sign that said something to the effect of "We Strive To Give You the Best Quality Products at The Most Competitive Prices"

They were getting $24 a QUART.

And two people bought them while I was standing there.

Flatfoot95
04-09-2007, 01:57 PM
jdj, I am selling my quarts for $12, half gallons $22 and gallons for $37. Have sold atleast 50qts so far. No comlaints yet. I agree with Dave Y that too many people are not charging enough.

Dave Y
04-09-2007, 03:23 PM
as I have said before, Most people dont Know what it takes to make syrup.
It is hard work. As a friend of mine said it is bull work. If we offer a quality product then we should be rewarded with a fair Price. If the rich people will pay 24 a qt most folk wont argue with 12. Ithink $42 a gal is a fair price.Next year it may be $48.

Lwood
04-09-2007, 04:30 PM
I'm priced with Maple Flats exactly except for quarts. I have them priced at $12.00. I was asked prices the other day and was told my price was too high and that they would negotiate it with me. I promply told them that if they did not like my price go somewhere else. Two days later they returned and bought 10 gallons. hmm.....

802maple
04-09-2007, 06:09 PM
Yoy can't act like you are disperate, if the consumer thinks they have you on the ropes they will try to talk you down, if they can sense that you will dicker they will try, just stick to your guns and be proud of your product ,you cant do this for free.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-09-2007, 06:23 PM
I made 92.5 gallons this year and 75+ gallons for retail. I bottle about 3 quarts to every pint and I sell quarts for $ 12 and pints for $ 7 and I have less than 15 gallons left. I don't bottle any bigger than quarts as I can't hardly give it away and some people buy 2 to 4 gallon at $ 48 per gallon in quarts. If someone buys a lot, I may give them a small discount or a free quart of syrup. If you make a good product and have a good reputation, it will sell itself. Mountainvan will definitely agree with that. If he made 500 gallons @ year, you could retail every bit of it and sell it all. It averages out to about $ 50 a gallon per me with the quarts and pints and it is worth it and people who buy it agree. The funny thing is I went from $ 11 to $ 12 per quart and $ 6 to $ 7 for a pint this year and it is selling way better than ever before.

mountainvan
04-09-2007, 06:38 PM
Yep I agree wvm. As for people dickering about the price, for me it's 100% men who could buy my whole valley!! I think it's a game for them. Folks who live my valley get an Oliverea discount, they keep an eye on all my tanks, taps, etc so they earn it.

sapman
04-09-2007, 07:53 PM
Here in CNY, I get retail:

G $39
1/2G 22
Q 12
P 7
12oz 5.5
8.5oz 4.5

Some of my prices should be raised, which may happen this year. It's amazing some of the stuff on the store shelves next to mine for $6.99/12 oz. Of course they're all "packers" dark, and mine is always medium, as my labels are printed for that. And I know allot of people have come to appreciate the difference.

Tim

maple flats
04-09-2007, 07:54 PM
Yes, MV, but that is different, You are buying the best watchdogs available when you do that. A friendly neighbor is truly an asset. Those tank and their contents are far too valuable. Those type discounts are warrented but not for others out of the area where you currently tap. As for my prices, I know I make a quality product but I have 2 sugarhouses nearby that still sell for less. One gets $32/gal and the other gets $35/gal. If I go any higher than my $38 I will get too many going to the cheaper two. I also have some others who's prices I do not yet know but I am finding out during the next few weeks.

danno
04-10-2007, 09:21 AM
MV - thanks for pointing me in the right direction. This is the link for anyone looking for the regs in NY concerning bottling and labeling. It's a PDF.

http://www.agmkt.state.ny.us/FS/industry/04circs/maplesyrupansugarCIR947.pdf

mountainvan
04-10-2007, 12:37 PM
you are welcome. I have a copy in the saphouse.

Fred Henderson
04-10-2007, 01:03 PM
All prices should be raised 2 bucks per container size because of the bad year that we have had. The fruit farmers in the southeast are already complaining about the freeze that they are going thru. You can bet their prices will be higher.

Russell Lampron
04-10-2007, 08:37 PM
Amen to that Fred but everybody has to raise their prices. If you raise yours and the guy down the street doesn't your syrup will sit on the shelf while he is whoring it out.

Russ

Flatfoot95
04-10-2007, 10:19 PM
Fred what are your prices now?

Saltlick
04-13-2007, 01:14 PM
Seems like I saw Sam's Club selling Pure Dark Amber Canadian Syrup for 8 bucks a quart... Alot of people shop there. WAY WAY WAY too cheap,, But the market and quality determines the prices.
The Rough Rider

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-13-2007, 01:39 PM
They were selling altered syrup with added enzymes in the past and the USDA wouldn't do anything about it. It's cheaper for a reason more than likely.

tapper
04-13-2007, 02:06 PM
We bought some of that from sams years ago. It was very dark and had a grainy texture to it. I think we never finished eating the entire quart.

tapper
04-13-2007, 02:10 PM
The guys that never raise their syrup prices are the same ones that have been selling firewood for $35.00 a face cord for the last 20 years too.

danno
04-13-2007, 07:35 PM
To my surprise, my local big box grocery store has syrup at prices all higher than mine. Their quarts are $16, 8 oz. in plastic for $7. Thanks for posting that maple poem, I just taped a copy next to my office displays. Although my first customer this year bought 3 gallons and second bought 2 gallons, all at quart sizes (and prices) - so I guess my prices aren't scaring anybody.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-13-2007, 10:16 PM
We are cheaper than Wally world too!

TapME
11-06-2007, 05:51 PM
this may be a little ahead of the prices of next years syrup, but how do you think the price of oil will affect our prices both bulk and retail?

Breezy Lane Sugarworks
11-06-2007, 06:25 PM
/.\
/ . \

I don't see how it can't go up, with the operating costs, it'll have to!

Breezy Lane Sugarworks
11-06-2007, 06:28 PM
that's supposed to look like an arrow, but I couldn't get it to all stay inline. lol.

fred
11-06-2007, 09:23 PM
unfortunately not . bruce bascoms told me the price will only reflect production from canada. although your own retail market can be adjusted as high as the consumer will allow. i said the same thing about cost of labor and fuel/wood and he said it has no effect. my thought is if the farmers sticks together and doesnt sell right away it has to go up . but in the past they dont, people always jump the gun!!

Jim Brown
11-07-2007, 06:28 AM
All I can say is if you have bought any syrup in the last month the price has went through the roof!. What I bought 2 years ago and paid $1.90 for is now $2.55.
My two cents
Jim

TapME
11-07-2007, 06:58 PM
I would think that the price of doing business in Canada would increase in accordance with the cost of energy. In one of the post here they stated that the supply has been decreasing of the last couple of years( it was referred to in #'s). It will sure be interesting to see it all play out in the spring.

Parker
11-08-2007, 04:51 AM
With the weakness of the U.S. dollar the canadians wont be getting as much for their product here,,,,,,and of course the price will go up,,bruce just wants to try to keep a lid on it,,I bet you commercial will be in the $24 a gallon this spring,,,,the damand for the product is at an all time high......my 2cents

Jim Brown
11-08-2007, 05:52 AM
It's a great time in a persons life to be in the syrup business!!

mountainvan
11-08-2007, 06:02 AM
It all works out. Higher prices paid to the producer, but..... tubing, bottles, oil, gas, etc. is going up in price too. So we're making more money, but spending more money to stay in business. Syrup is only going to go up in price, just like everything else.

themapleking
12-11-2007, 03:47 PM
To answer all of your ? on syrup prices. You're all wrong with your prices.
Here's how you do it. Sell your 1/2 gal at 60% of your gal price. Sell your quarts at 35% of your gal price. Pints sell at 20% of gal price. And 1/2 pint sell at 15%.

$40.00 gal
$24.00 1/2 gal = 60% of a gal
$14.00 qt = 35% of a gal
$8.00 pt = 20% of a gal
$6.00 1/2 pt = 15% of a gal

I hope this helps clear up pricing qusetions.

Fred Henderson
12-11-2007, 04:30 PM
To answer all of your ? on syrup prices. You're all wrong with your prices.
Here's how you do it. Sell your 1/2 gal at 60% of your gal price. Sell your quarts at 35% of your gal price. Pints sell at 20% of gal price. And 1/2 pint sell at 15%.

$40.00 gal
$24.00 1/2 gal = 60% of a gal
$14.00 qt = 35% of a gal
$8.00 pt = 20% of a gal
$6.00 1/2 pt = 15% of a gal

I hope this helps clear up pricing qusetions.

How in the heck can you sleep at night, with ripping people off like that.

nhmaple48
12-11-2007, 04:35 PM
At those prices,it's still about half what it ought to be!

fred
12-11-2007, 05:06 PM
if your not getting that now in wholesale jugs. you might as well sell it in bulk and make a ton more money.

Jim Brown
12-11-2007, 05:20 PM
Has anyone but me bought syrup lately? 2.50 for med amber and 2.15 for 'B'
THAT IS IF YOU CAN FIND SOMEONE TO SELL IT TO YOU! That is what I just paid a aweek ago! and it does not matter if you buy 5 gallon or 100 gallon same price. The prices quoted on maplekings post are not very far off!(sorry to say)
just my two cents

Jim

Lwood
12-11-2007, 05:26 PM
By the time you add it all up. I don't think that he is far off the mark. I don't make as much syrup as most of you guys but.... His prices are real close to where I have to be this year. If you look around at what people are getting those prices are average. I've seen prices alot higher. But I suppose it depends on your market. I've had people tell me my prices are too high and leave, only to come back a few days later and buy more than they wanted in the first place.

Russell Lampron
12-11-2007, 05:58 PM
Maplekings prices look like what we all should be selling our syrup for or more. Last month Bascoms was selling medium and dark amber for $2.55lb bulk. Thats $28.05 per gallon wholesale. By the time you add in a modest mark up to cover your labor, $28.05 plus 25% = $35.06, then add in the price of the container, plus $2.50 = $37.56. That is figuring only a 25% mark up and most things these days have a larger mark up than that. If you were to figure a 50% mark up add another $7.00 to that and a gallon of syrup should retail for $44.56. The rest of his formula is correct for the smaller sizes.

Russ

Valley View Sugarhouse
12-11-2007, 06:20 PM
I agree with Mapleking 100% those are the prices to the penny I had last spring. I have a neighbor 1/4 mile down the road that sells gallons only @ $30 but it is sludge and I sold out in July and he still has syrup...

mountainvan
12-11-2007, 06:48 PM
It's all where you are located. Syrup retails for more close to big cities and less up where Fred is from, more in Ohio, less in Maine etc.. If I only relied on local Catskill residents for syrup sales I would be out of business, but NYC is only 2 1/2 hrs from me. Closer to the farm markets I go to. I did some figuring the other day, and I'm getting more on average for a gallon than in 2000. That takes into account bottles, etc.. Of course my wife said, "everything else has gone up too". I always say," you'll get what they're willing to pay".

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-11-2007, 07:38 PM
Fred,

Take it easy on Joe as he is a really nice guy and not trying to rip anyone off. I think the nail was hit on the head when someone said it depends on where you are. Down here the supermarkets sell syrup from who knows where for $ 13 to $ 15 a quart. I sell quarts for $ 13 and pints for $ 7 and that is the only way I sell my as I can't seem to move any other sizes.

Get on some of these big syrup makers that have big internet sites and you will suddenly see Joe's prices are cheap compared to a lot of them. If people are willing to pay the price, then it must not be bad and Joe has quite a bit of competition where he is located.

tuckermtn
12-11-2007, 07:54 PM
We sold our quarts and pints for the prices quoted by mapleking at our sugarhouse last season....once folks see the amount of labor involved and the equipment involved (and we have a pretty low-tech operation) they seem to get the picture on why syrup costs so much...

if I sold at a farmers market or at minimarts, I don't think I would change my pricing...

-tuckermtn

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
12-11-2007, 08:12 PM
I Think His Priceing Is Right On. I Sold Everything I Made This Year And Bought More. Supplies Keep Going Up And Syrup Will Follow

Rich

TapME
12-11-2007, 08:18 PM
hey, I went to Bean's with my wife and son this past weekend and their price was $30 for a quart at the store. Wish we could all get that for our syrup!!!!!

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-11-2007, 09:09 PM
... oh Fred, I made a mistake, I sell quarts for $ 12 instead of $ 13. If someone buys a gallon, they pay $ 48 if they buy it in quarts and $ 56 if they buy it in pints. I may give a discount if they buy 2.5 or 3 gallon or more, but the jugs are around $ 1 each and I can't hardly give away anything bigger than a quart and some customers buy 12 pints at one time or more. I don't feel I am ripping off anyone selling them a gallon of syrup for $ 56 and there are many others that would charge more than that

Sugarmaker
12-11-2007, 09:26 PM
I agree with Maplekings pricing same as ours last year and we probably should be raising it again! One local sugarmaker is going to $44 per gallon and several at $42 now.
I think you get about the same ratio by multiplying the gallon figure by .6 then that value by .6 and so on some minor rounding required.

IE;
$40 /gal x .6 = $24 half
$24 /half x .6 = (14.4) we rounded down to $14/ qt
$14 /Qt x .6 = (8.4) we rounded down to $8 /pt
$ 8 /pt x .6 = (4.8) rounded up to $5/ 1/2 pint

Regards,
Chris

Valley View Sugarhouse
12-11-2007, 10:07 PM
you should get more per gallon for the smaller jugs, you baught more jugs and none of us would work for free..... it takes more time to fill 4 qts then it does 1 gal

Fred Henderson
12-12-2007, 04:52 AM
I know that the area when syrup is made helps to govern the selling price. I do like the way he is figuring his pricing. The only time I will give a discount is when a person want a gallon and I only have half gallons on hand then I will let them buy for the gallon price.

Parker
12-12-2007, 05:31 AM
Just think how much all the equipment costs,,how much time or money you spend on your fuel and how much time you spend in the woods-all to make syrup,,,I believe if any of us were good businessmen-we would not be doing this!!! A roll of 30-p was $30 2 years ago,,now its $50!!! We ought to get as much as we can to try to recover some of the tremendous expense of this "Business",,,,,,my 2 cents

ziggy
12-12-2007, 07:47 AM
My prices are higher than Mapleking's and I am not very far from him. We all need to set our prices where we feel they need to be. But the thing I keep hearing is "where I live I can't get that price, but in the city you can" What is the price of gas, milk, smokes, beer, steak, and everything else where you live? If its that much cheaper there by you then when I by my next truck I am going up north to buy it cheaper. At $30 a gallon you are better off leaving it in the drum. Wait until you see the price of containers, fuel, etc next year, prices are not going to drop. The other thing is if you are not making a fair profit where does the money come from to replace equipment? Look at the price of a new evaporator pan.

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
12-12-2007, 08:11 AM
PARKER
i think if i was a good business man i would not be making syrup. if i had a bumper crop every year and could sell out i dont think i could break even. more as a hobby and try to recuop as much as possible

RICH

themapleking
12-12-2007, 11:16 AM
Don't forget guys maple syrup is only made in this part of the country. You can't make down south, out west or any where else in the world. $40 a gal is cheep. It cost $30 a gal to make, with fire wood fuel oil time equipment ect.
People spend $40 on beer and smokes every week. A bottle or pepsi, coke cost $2. A gal of syrup lasts a long time.
If you use my math to price your syrup at what every your gal price is.Than we will all be on the same page with pricing. It will benifit all of us.
If you think your prices might be low? They are! If you think your prices are high they're not!

fred
12-12-2007, 11:47 AM
dont forget that this all some people do for a living and by selling cheap you are hurting the whole industry. the Amish are heavy in this area and although some are selling "thin" syrup they put it in gal jugs and sell it for 20 dollars a gal so they can sell out fast. just hurts everyone especially themselves

ennismaple
12-12-2007, 12:25 PM
I agree that its worth what people are willing to pay for it - and even then it's too little! I sell a lot of syrup to everyone I know in Toronto and they are willing to pay a premium for my syrup instead of getting it cheaper from Costco. My 4 litre jugs (just a bit bigger than a US gallon) are $55, 2L jugs are $29, 1L is $17, 500mL is $10 and 250mL is $6.50. I don't want to be the cheapest syrup people can buy, I want to be the best so they'll buy from me every year. We made a bumper crop this past spring and we'll be sold out early in the new year. If you sell out too soon you're not asking enough for your syrup! Just my $0.02 worth...

325abn
12-12-2007, 01:58 PM
I get $9/pint and $5.50/half pint and yes I do sleep at night. If someone wants to buy 8 pints at once I will certainly deal down to $48 -$50 for the 8 pints.

mountainvan
12-12-2007, 02:08 PM
As for the "where you live" case of prices, don't forget about house/land prices. Here in Shandakan we think $350,000 for a house and a couple acres is expensive. In NYC that is a bargain, heck that's hardly an apartment.. Throw in property taxes, etc.. City types are used to paying more.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-12-2007, 02:30 PM
Just be thankful we still have a free market enterprise where we can sell syrup for whatever price we want. Some of you charge more than I do and others less. Down here, hardly no one even what syrup is and don't have a clue how much hard work it is and cost of production. In my case, I have to work to educate people along with selling as other do also, just more in my case than most.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-12-2007, 03:05 PM
Speaking of price increases, 2 years ago the Lappierre tubing was less than $ 40 @ roll, and now it is $60+. Guess it makes the 30p look cheap now. I hate that as I like it because I like the Lappierre better and I guess all the other companies are doing the same.

Parker
12-12-2007, 04:29 PM
About 10 years ago I ran an add in the paper for firewood at $10 a cord less than the "going rate",,I got no calls,,a week later I ran another add and priced my wood $5 a cord higher than the "going rate",,,,,and got a bunch of orders?????? Go figure

Dave Y
12-12-2007, 07:01 PM
I sell my gallons for 42.00 If the price of bulk keeps going up It will be 50.00 a gallon and I wont feel a bit guilty. I just sold 120 half pints for 5.00 each. Thats 80.00 a gal. I would like to sell all my syrup like that.

Sugarmaker
12-12-2007, 08:51 PM
Recent LL Bean Ad for pure 100% maple syrup at $25 per Qt, $45 per half gallon and $19.50 for glass pint. My guess is you pay the shipping on top of that:) . I bet they sell a bunch too.

Regards,
Chris

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-12-2007, 09:03 PM
Let's each sell our syrup for what we each think it is worth and not pass judgement on others for selling what we think is too high or too low. I do agree that it is bad to sell it too low but who determines what is too low. I raised my quarts from $ 11 to $ 12 @ and they sell even better than they did in 2006. Maybe I have increased my market, but not one person complained. I retail every bit of mine and average around $ 50 @ gallon. I couldn't fathom making it and selling it for $ 20 to $ 25 @ gallon in wholesale. I would have quit a long, long time ago. I know the bulk prices are up significantly now, but 2 years ago you wouldn't have gotten $ 20 a gallon for the lightest light syrup.

Fred Henderson
12-13-2007, 07:33 AM
Every year I have to raise prices on the average of a buck per container. Just to cover the increased cost of the jugs and making it.

peacemaker
01-28-2008, 09:44 PM
not to mention maple kings scale is right out of the maple syrups pruducers manual ... if u dont have one get or atleast read what it has to say about pricing ... do your own math and say how much it cost u to make a gal ..
if i could i would only sell the wedding fav hearts and maple leafs u do that math and its around 270 a gal that way

jemsklein
01-29-2008, 11:14 AM
well were i am i can get $20 for a liter or quart i can get $12 for 500 ml or a pint and for 4 liter i could get $55 but i supply a restaurant and he pays $45 for 4 liters or a gallon

maple flats
01-30-2008, 07:57 PM
Most of us price it too low, we are our own worst enemy. Then we ask why we make no profit. Make the best there is and charge appropriaely for it. I think the $40-42 range should be the lowest for gal price. Why would you sell retail for $30 when you can get very close to that in bulk. If that is your selling ability, sell it bulk and don't bother with buying retail containers. We have a gourmet product and must sell it as such, not give it away.