PDA

View Full Version : Dominion Grimm sportsman purchase.

sugaring in vt
02-26-2017, 05:41 PM
So I just picked up a used 18x63 sportsman for next year. I won't be able to use it this year because Ive got to do a little work on the grates and it won't fit in my current sap shack. It's missing a few parts for the float also. The CDL dealer was going to get in touch with the guy who traded it in and see if he has them. I'm wondering if I can still get the parts from the manufacturer or should I look elsewhere. Pretty excited to step up to a flue pan evaporator after using the old four channel half pint pan on a barrel I currently have.

Maplebrook
02-26-2017, 07:20 PM
Here in Canada parts are readily available. The float box is the same as the bigger evaporators so it shouldn't be an issue. Mine's a 2008 - that's what I'm going by.
Good luck!

BAP
02-26-2017, 07:26 PM
There is a Dominion and Grimm store in Bennington VT.

sugaring in vt
02-27-2017, 05:48 AM
Thanks guys for the info. I'm hoping the dealer can get it from the original owner but now I know I can get it and what to look for. I can't wait to try this out and see how much faster it boils.

Maplebrook
02-27-2017, 10:24 AM

Here's mine with the pre-heater and steam hood in place.

sugaring in vt
02-27-2017, 12:52 PM
Maplebrook,
That's a nice setup. I don't have a hood with mine. Do you like the hood covering the back pan? I've only ever boiled with an open pan setup. I like the log cabin feel to your sugar house too. Pretty cool look.

Maplebrook
02-27-2017, 06:20 PM
Maplebrook,
That's a nice setup. I don't have a hood with mine. Do you like the hood covering the back pan? I've only ever boiled with an open pan setup. I like the log cabin feel to your sugar house too. Pretty cool look.

The hood came out of necessity. The original camp was 12x16 with one 16' side open and facing south. The evaporator wouldn't boil good in the front pan due to cold air coming in the open side, so I closed it off with an 8x16 addition. Then there was steam - which wasn't a problem when the breezes blew right through - and with a good boil on you couldn't see. The hood fixed that. It also houses a pre-heater and that upped the boiling rate by 10-15 litres an hour. I made 2 hatches in the draw-off side to see in the flue pan. It's for sale, there's a link to the ad in "Tapping in Nova Scotia" further down the page. There's more pictures there.

Thanks for the compliments. We had a lot of fun growing to that stage and had many good times in that little camp. We're moving on now to another location and growing again.