PDA

View Full Version : weather, weather, temp. question

michael marrs
02-26-2017, 09:00 AM
Here in mid mi., I set my taps feb. 10, 11 days ahead of last year. in the next week or so, gathered 160 gals. then it got to 60's and stayed over freezing for a full week, I went from gathering 50 gals the first warm day, to 15 a day for the next few days. Now , a couple of buckets show signs of cloudiness. Today, the temps have swung back to above/below for what looks to be about for 3 weeks. Will the sap production swing back to normal?, and is everything I experienced with this weather pattern normal?That first warm day, I thought I was going to need water wings around here, then it slowed down big time. only my 3rd year. I guess I could wait it out and see, but I am curious thanks

Sugarmaker
02-26-2017, 09:05 AM
First you dont have much control of the weather so setting the taps each year is a crap shoot at best. You want to get tapped at a time that looks favorable for the next 6 weeks. Our weather perdictors today are good for about a week. Check with other sugarmakers and see when they are going to tap.
Your sap production sounds about right for the temps your getting. Remember you need a freeze about every third day of the season to have a great year. Yes the warmer it is the less sap and the cloudier. If you see a freeze in the forescast it may reset the sap flow again.
Keep firing!
Regards,
Chris