PDA

View Full Version : Some advise or info please!!!!

JeffB
02-26-2017, 07:57 AM
So basically i boiled yesterday for 3 hours for first time to start sweetening the pans, was running low on sap so I shut down, weather is not favorable to keep concentrate in my drop flue pan.
I drained my pan and flues once the concentrate cooled down,, Had a lot of what looks like loose sugar sand that had settled, I used paper towel and wiped it out and to my surprise the syrup pan area has what looks like small circular rust spots on the mirror finish that would not come off with wiping .
I have a hybrid drop flue pan, flue area was still mirror finish but syrup compartments are not the both have a bit of niter haze but my concern is the reddish small spots that I have never seen before.
My pan has never been washed with harsh chemicals only vinegar/water and IPA solution.
Any idea what this might be ?

Sugarmaker
02-26-2017, 08:13 AM
Jeff,
Not a clue! Take some pictures? Was something steel setting in there all summer??
Regards
Chris

JeffB
02-26-2017, 08:15 AM
Also to add to the description of the rust marks they look like fish eyes, round and scattered all through the bottom of the pan ?

JeffB
02-26-2017, 08:17 AM
Nope no steel wool or wire brush or scraper. Always cleaned with a water/vinegar and IPA then a soft cotton or paper towel.

heus
02-26-2017, 08:18 AM
Sounds like sugar sand (niter) to me. Instead of an even layer my syrup pan will sometime develop dots of niter all over the bottom of the drawoff channel.

Sugarmaker
02-26-2017, 08:34 AM
Yes Jason is probably right, sugarsand spots on my syrup pan are round about 1/8 in dia. Mine aren't red though? Could be darker syrup?
Regards,
Chris

JeffB
02-26-2017, 08:54 AM

Here are some photo's .... Has any one ever seen boiling sap do this to a pan and what could it be ?

Sugarmaker
02-26-2017, 09:00 AM
Yep that's sugarsand that has stuck to the pan. If you get it bad enough it will cover the surface and cause scorching.
I change sides each time I boil to minimize that. Yours looks about normal. Nothing to really worry about till the season is over.
If you can change sides to draw off that would be good.
Keep firing!
Regards,
Chris

JeffB
02-26-2017, 09:07 AM
Ok cool I panicked a little its only my second yr boiling on the hybrid pan .
I can't switch the syrup pan my pan is a combination drop flue/ syrup compartments all in one.. I have to clean entire pan when niter builds up only had to clean pan 2 times last yr. after about 2000 liter niter was thick..

Sugarmaker
02-26-2017, 09:16 AM
Jeff,
Your doing good.
Regards,
Chris